Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"Alright, James, me mate, just what is the caper this time?"

"Caper? Cecil, what are you talking about?"

"James, stop playing silly buggers, willya? You've got that map in your hand and that means you're up ta somthin'."

"Look, you have to admit, things have gotten a little dull around here. It's half way between Halloween and Christmas, it's months until exams, and to tell you the truth, I'm bored out of my mind. I thought maybe we could have a look at some of these tunnels," James said as he unfolded the map on the table in the back of the library.

"Alright. I'm willin', but it brings up a question. Why?"

"What do you mean, why? It's a map and it's got places on it we haven't been to yet. That's why."

"But why worry about tunnels that lead ta Hogsmeade? If we show up there some Prefect is going ta spot us. Next year we'll be able ta go with no worries," Cecil pointed out.

"What about an invisibility spell?"

"Yeah, right. Try buyin' a bottle of butterbeer bein' invisible."

"Alright, well, maybe we won't need it to sneak into Hogsmeades but we might need it to sneak out of the castle sometime," James ventured.

"Try again. What could happen that would make us want to sneak out of here? You got another girlfriend down in the forest somewhere?"

"No, of course not. But lot's of weird stuff has been going on lately. Who knows? And Ronin told me you should always know a way out as much as a way in."

"Look, mate, I'm willin' to make the effort, but I still think you're punchin' at shadows."

Unfortunately neither of them got the chance to make any headway with their explorations beyond identifying the hidden entries within the castle. Apparently Kai had done some major agitation with the Gryffindor Quidditch captain, and there was a rumor floating around the common room that the head of house wasn't happy with the sloppy win against Ravenclaw. As a result James was added to the reserve roster and had to work out with the team, in addition to his time with 'The Kids'.

Cecil was putting in extra time trying to capitalize on his success with Dominique on the dance floor during the Halloween Ball. It was obvious that the girl had enjoyed his attention that evening and subsequent encounters were always amiable but he didn't get the feeling that she found him of any interest beyond that of her cousin's best friend. When he mentioned it to said cousin, the response wasn't particularly encouraging.

"Look, Cecil, I don't think I can offer you any help here. I barely know what's going on with Kai. I have no idea what might be going on inside Domi's head. But I do know that she's not the type of girl that would mess you around. If she's nice to you when you're around her it means she doesn't find you a total oik and you haven't blown your chance."

"Um, well, thanks, mate. I think," Cecil replied.

Fred on the other hand, was having no such issues. In his case he was all too well aware that his dance partner of the Halloween evening was favorably disposed towards him and he was still a bit dazed by the whole situation. And the girl herself, Cressida of Ravenclaw, wasn't making it any easier on him. She was attractive without being intimidating, her smile was warm and friendly without suggesting there was something more to it. She could talk for hours about Quidditch and as it so happened, she was a fan of some of the more pyrotechnic selections from the Weasley Wizards Wheeze catalog. She was very impressed when Fred escorted her to the Hogsmeade store one Saturday and was given VIP treatment, although he was required to pay cash for his selections.