Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Harry stood on the top step of the front portico of his home looking out over the front garden in the early morning sunlight. It was Saturday and he had been looking forward to this day all week. Looking to his side and down he took in the image of his son James arrayed in his trekking gear. Harry hadn't realized how thrifty his son had been with the coins that had come his way during the past few years for his birthday, Christmas and the visits of his grandparents when a few stray sickles would find their way into his pockets. In the last weeks he had dipped into that mini horde of accumulated wealth and outfitted himself with sturdy boots, a small rucksack, a water bottle and a short but sturdy walking stick he fashioned from a fallen branch.

"Ready, Master Hawkins?" Harry asked straight faced.

"Da," James said mildly exasperated, "Jim Hawkins explored a tropical island, not a forest."

"My apologies. What say we get started?"

"Yes, let's."

With that, Harry took a firm grip on his son and used Side Along Apparation to take them to the front gate of Hogwarts. Side by side they made their way onto the grounds and towards Hagrid's hut. When they were a few yards from the small stone house, a deep woofing echoed out of the partially opened door. The boy looked up at his father and said,

"Norbie doesn't come out much anymore, does he, Da?"

"No, he doesn't, son. He's getting along in years and spends most of his time in the hut. But he's a number of years older than other dogs like him usually live. Your Uncle Rubeus really knows his stuff. Snuffles will likely last just as long if we keep following your uncle's advice," Harry said as they stepped up to the door.

Before Harry could knock, the door swung open and Hagrid filled the opening.

"Well, there ya are, ya two. Good ta see yas. And how is my godson doin'?" Hagrid asked.

"Great, Uncle Rubeus," James said as his feet left the stone floor and half his head disappeared briefly into that tangled mass of black beard.

There was a time when this would have had the boy shrieking in glee, but at the mature age of nine he simply laughed out loud. After the aerial hug, James' feet touched back down and he looked up at his uncle rubbing at his tickled face.

"One of these days I'm going to find a garden gnome in there, Uncle Rubeus."

"Oh, I dunno 'bout that, m' lad. I check it once a week for hitch hikers," Hagrid said with a huge laugh.

An insistent bump from behind caused Hagrid to move aside and the big, white muzzled head of Norbie appeared beside his knee. James dropped to his knees and began to rub behind the dog's ears. Harry reached over his son and added some rubs of his own.

"How's he doing, Hagrid?"

"He's slowed down a lot, Harry. But there doesn't appear ta be any pain and we still take our walks, but he sleeps most o' the time in between," Hagrid said seriously. "He's got some time still."

"I wonder if I should mention to Abagail to come up to visit."

"No need, Harry. She's been stoppin' by once a month or so for the past year or more," Hagrid said.

Harry smiled and shook his head a bit. He should have known better. Abagail was very conscientious in her concern for those dear to her. After a few more minutes of head rubs, father and son took their leave of the oversized pair and headed onto the path into the forest. James face lit up as he fell in behind his father, his head swiveling around. It was only his second trip into the mass of trees and he couldn't disguise his enthusiasm for everything he was experiencing. The only thing missing was catching sight of a Centaur.