Chapter 27

Chapter 27

In the weeks that led up to the beginning of exams, that is the NEWTs and OWLs, more and more focus was placed on school work and less on what was going on in the outer world. James and Cecil were sure that they were under observation. On more than one occasion one or the other would look over a shoulder and catch a portrait or drifting ghost looking away quickly. They had already decided to play it straight until the end of term but having an entire castle keeping an eye on you tended to make you careful how you stepped.

Ted had halted the extra curricular sessions but James had seen him on a several occasions holding quiet conversations with several sixth years that he knew were visitors to a particular room on the dungeon level. He assumed that plans for transitioning the leadership of the group were underway. James and his friend spent most of their free time working on their school work. If they couldn't use their skills and energy on something interesting, they might as well go out in a blaze of academic glory.

This particular session was taking place at the table in the Great Hall. They were sitting side by side working on a pair of scrolls since they were in different sessions of the same History of Magic class. They were discussing differing interpretations of a particularly gruesome incident in the seemingly endless wizards versus goblins conflicts. Cecil viewed it in the context of gangs fighting over turf while James thought that the idea of minimizing the unauthorized use of wands by highly suspect goblins was more the issue.

"James, mate, yer missing the point. People with power always wants to keep others from threatenin' their position. Humans got wands first and wanted to keep anyone else from musclin' in. All that stuff about making the world safe and such sounds nice but its all smoke and mirrors. It's always personal."

"Good grief, Cecil, what an attitude. Are you able to look at anyone and not suspect an ulterior motive?"

"Don't know what a ulterior is, but I know that you gotta be careful who ya trust. Word to the wise."

James shook his head but then stopped and looked up at the feel of a hand sliding across his shoulder. He saw Kai standing behind him.

"Hi, James. Will you have time this weekend to visit with Wullie? Professor Hagrid mentioned it to me after class today."

"Um, yeah, either afternoon."

"Sunday then. I have a match to fly on Saturday. Do you think you might want to watch?" she asked, her expression expectant.

"What do you think, Cec, wanna go watch Kai fly rings around some folks?"

"Yeah, sure," Cecil replied, "maybe there will be some good crack ups."

James couldn't help but laugh. He looked back at Kai and said,

"Okay, Saturday is Quidditch and Sunday with Wullie."

"Terrific. See ya later," she said, with a squeeze on his shoulder and then she was off.

Cecil watched her walk away and then he looked back at James.

"What's the story there, mate?"

"I'm not entirely sure. We're friends. She's fun to be around. Anything else, don't really know. I mean she is two years older than me."

Cecil nodded and then said,

"She is a bit stunning, she is."

James had to agree but wasn't about to say anything more. They went back to arguing wizard goblin relationships.

His father had some issues of his own to deal with. In the weekend following his conversation with James, Harry was having another serious conversation. Anthony Goldstein had come out to the house to have a talk with Harry.