Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next few weeks were quiet ones for all. James had an anxious few days after he sent his message off to Victoire informing her and Ted that his activities had been uncovered by his grandmother, who to her credit had not informed his parents, but had essentially shut down his eavesdropping. He had even tested her once by making his way into Abagail's studio, where with his ear pressed to a spot on the hardwood floor, he could hear what was said in Harry's library.

He had no sooner set foot in the room when a cough from behind alerted him to Gran Lily's presence. He just put his hands in his pockets, made as if to be looking around the room and then turned on his heel to leave the suite of rooms. He was somewhat relieved when he got the return message and found out that Victoire had likewise tipped their hand, if in a somewhat more embarrassing manner and that they had to lay low until some alternative could be developed. When he shared the information with his younger brother, Albus looked up from the small pocket recorder, a present from his grandfather, that he was dismantling and said,

"What did you expect?" and went back to his work.

In fact, the only activity out of the norm for the Potter household was the planning for the upcoming wedding of Anthony Goldstein and Susan Bones. Shortly after Harry had made the offer to Anthony the couple had paid a visit to Meadow Crest on a Saturday evening at the invitation of Ginny for 'a little get together'. During the course of the evening, Fleur and Bill, Eleanor and Charlie, and Audrey and Percy just happened to stop by, purely by coincidence of course.

So, when the topic of where the upcoming wedding was going to take place arose in conversation, Ginny's comment, 'we'll have it here', was met with near universal acclaim. The only objection came from the soon to be bride, who didn't want to be a bother, but that was quickly overcome by the sheer volume of assurances that it would be nothing of the sort.

When it came time for tea and snacks, Susan had wandered over to the window and was looking out into the darkness. She was idly trying to make sense of the jumbled shadows out by the meadow when a soft voice asked,

"You are steel troubled, yes?"

Susan turned to look into that flawless face framed in white blonde hair and smiled a bit,

"A little bit, Fleur. It's such a lovely gesture by Harry and Ginny and it should be such a wonderful time, but I was just thinking about all those in my family who won't be there."

Fleur smiled a bit and said,

"Yes, 'arry 'as told me of your situation. You 'ave suffered much loss. Eet might 'elp to theenk about what you 'ave gained, 'owever."

Susan regarded Fleur for a moment and then looked over at the small knot of people by the sideboard. She nodded and then looked back at Fleur.

"You might be right. Let me ask you something. Do you ever find it a little overwhelming, I mean everyone and all they seem to be doing?"

Fleur cocked one of her finely crafted eyebrows and said,

"My dear, Susan. Eet ees they that are overwhelmed by me."

Susan's eyes popped a bit and then she began to giggle and then laugh, with Fleur adding a bit of throaty chuckle. After she stopped Susan asked,

"How's he doing? Harry I mean. Word was he wasn't doing so well over the holiday."

"Yes, 'e 'ad a bit of a problem and 'ad to get much rest. Eet seems that 'is unique nature may be more than one body can 'andle. We do what we can but..." the blonde beauty finished with a shrug. "My oldest daughter ees quite convinced she must become a 'ealer so she can look after 'im."