Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"How are you holding up, Harry? You look like you could use some serious sleep," Anthony said as he sat opposite of Harry in the library at Meadow Crest.

"He's right, Harry," Abagail agreed.

"Yes, yes, I know, it's been a tough week, but don't worry. The lady of the manor, in league with all her minions, is forcing me to get my head down for a kip as soon as we wrap things up here. I had hoped it wouldn't be as difficult as this but I've had to spend a lot more time searching the flows than I thought I would."

"What's the problem been, Harry?" Abagail asked.

"Well, if I hold contact with the pillar, I can trace along the flows, and occasionally I can find a juncture, but it's extremely difficult to get a feel for where the juncture is. To be honest, I'm not even sure what direction I'm 'going' as I trace the lines. That's the biggest reason I look like this. I've been back in the castle before midnight each night I've tried this, but then I'm awake for hours trying to figure out how to make it work."

"Harry, why haven't you asked me to help? Maybe I can pick up on the direction part of it," Abagail said.

"Little one, you didn't look much better than I do now when you got home from the continent. You need time to rest before Anthony drags you back there to continue your search," Harry said.

Anthony had the good grace not to voice any objections to Harry's use of the word 'drags'.

"Speaking of which, when are you planning on going back?" Harry asked his friend.

"Sometime next week, Harry. Although I wasn't planning on taking Abagail anywhere for a while yet. We've had the locals following our friends around for a while now, so I need to find out what's been going on before I plan out our next moves. If there's any member of your family that I need to borrow at this point, it's Ron for some strategy assistance. I'll be stopping by his house on the way home."

"See, Harry, I'm all yours," Abagail said, flashing him her best impish grin.

"Yes, well, let's wait until tomorrow before we discuss anything," Harry replied while trying to suppress a yawn, without much success. "I'll need my full wits about me while you try to use your wiles on me."

"Wiles?" she asked in shocked tones. "That's it, Mister Potter. When you start talking like that, it can only mean it's past your bedtime. Up you come," she said as she stood up.

Anthony could only smile as he took the not so subtle hint that it was time for him to go. As he made his was to the front door he called back to Harry,

"I'll be sure to talk to you before I leave next week, Harry. I'll want to coordinate some things with you but you need some sleep first."

"I'll be available, Anthony. Thanks."

While Harry was being tucked away for the afternoon, his eldest son was being quite active. Taking advantage of a hotly anticipated Quidditch cup match between Slytherin and Ravenclaw, James was engaged in some indoor 'exploring' with Cecil. At the moment they were crouched in a deeply shadowed corner on a staircase landing leading down to the dungeon level in the castle.

"You're sure of this, mate?" Cecil asked.

"As sure as I can be without actually seeing the room itself," James replied. "Every other night for the last week, Ted and a number of others have been coming down here and gathering in the same room. The last one on the left, down that corridor," he finished, pointing to the dark entrance to a corridor at the bottom of the staircase.

"Alright, mate, so if'n they're meeting at night, why are we down here on a Saturday afternoon?"

"Because I need to check to make sure the room is where the map says it is. And I need to do it while Ted and the others are busy at the stadium. Come on," James said as he checked the map as they moved down the last set of steps.