Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Alright, Rose, let's see what we have here," Harry said as he looked across at his niece.

Harry was sitting in his favorite chair in the library with a notebook on his lap. Rose was sitting on the couch across from him, close enough to converse but far enough away so as not to feel any pain from his aura. Her hands were folded in her lap, her posture upright, nearly rigid. She was very excited to be getting the chance to work with her uncle exploring what her unusual talent might mean.

"So, as far as the family is concerned, you can see auras around everyone except your grandmother and grandfather Granger. When we went to Diagon Alley this morning, you only saw two other people without auras and I recognized them as the muggle spouses of a witch and a wizard. So that seems to confirm that what you're seeing is tied to magical talent. I'll talk to your mom and dad and see about taking you out to where it's mostly muggles and see what we can find. Maybe King's Cross Station."

"Alright, Uncle Harry," the girl replied.

"Okay, I'm going to ask you some questions. Just relax and answer as honestly as you can. I'm not looking for any specific kind of answers, alright?"

"Yes, sir," Rose replied with a smile.

"Do the auras you see differ in color in anyway?"

"No, they all have the same whitish color."

"Okay, do they look different in terms of size?" he asked.

"Um, yes, in a way. Most people are about the same, about like this," she said, making a gesture that suggested the aura extended several inches away from the body. "Some are closer, yours is maybe twice as big."

Harry nodded as he made some notes and then looked up at the girl who was regarding him intently.

"How about intensity, are any more or less bright for instance?"

"Oh, yes, for us kids, much less bright and some flicker, like a candle when you breath on it. Yours is very bright, Uncle Harry. Mummy and Daddy, too, but not as much."

Again more notes and Harry nodded. It seemed there might be some tie to the magical potential of a witch or wizard and the strength of this aura. It might explain what he had experienced as the dragon. He was curious as to whether there was anything that might indicate a tendency for trouble, such as what he surmised about those three Slytherin first years that time, or was that some other faculty unique to the dragon.

"Does looking at people like this cause you any problems, Rose. I mean, like make you tired or give you a headache?"

"No, Uncle Harry. I just see it."

"All the time?"

"Yes, if they have it, I see it," she said with a little shrug.

And what she was seeing now was making her uneasy and she had to work at not letting it show. So instead she smiled.

"What has you so happy, Miss Rose?" Harry asked with a grin of his own.

"I think this is fun, Uncle Harry. Are your projects at school like this?"

"You know about that, do you?"

"Yes, I've heard Mummy and Daddy talk about them."

"Well, I suppose in a way they are. Although they are usually more complicated," he explained and then paused a moment. "Come to think of it, this could get a lot more complicated as we go."

"Maybe then it could be my project when I go to school."

"It's possible. I'll save space for you," he told her, getting a bigger smile.