chapter 38

Ashton's P.O.V.

I looked back and forth at Chris and her mother . You could tell that they were related . Brown hair , brown eyes , same eye shape and same nose . The woman was holding bags filled with toys and child clothes . My eyes were now focused on Chris , whose face was shocked .'' Oh my god , honey . I missed you .'' her mother said coming closer to probably hug her . Chris stepped behind and held my arm . She looked scared . She looked shocked .Her mother just stood there .'' Wont you hug your mum sweetheart ? I missed you so much .'' she added and I could feel the grip on my arm tightening . She then bursted .

'' I missed you ? How can you say that ? You were the one to leave . You were the one to abandon me . You left me with that monster who abused me for three years . Did you know what I went through ?No you dont . As I see you have a new family .'' she said pointing at the shopping bags . '' You left your own child with a man who came home drunk every single night . With a man who found pleasure causing pain to his kid .'' she said closing her eyes tightly , preventing tears from falling .

'' You have to understand me , Chris . I wasn't happy with him .'' her mother fought back .

'' So you left to probably be with someone else , forgetting that you had a fucking child .'' Chris yelled . '' I know that you must have had an affair with someone , I am not stupid .'' she said and her mother looked at the ground .

'' What did you want me to do , Chris ? Stay with him and be miserable ? I had to think about myself for once .'' she responded . I am stunned by her words . My parents dont give a damn about me , but they would never say that . I want to take Chris away from her right now .

'' You know what ? You are a the worst mother on this planet. You --.'' Chris was cut off but her mother slapping her across the face . I pulled Chris away from her and held her against my chest . She tried to get out of my grip , but I didnt let that happen . Chris was angry , I could feel it . 

'' How dare you say that ? I had always covered all your needs . I never pressured you to do something you didn't like . You always had everything . You are such a selfish person , Chris . Maybe I left because I couldnt stand living with you . '' I cut her off . I cant let her say those things to Chris . I pushed Chris behind me and thought that it was the best time to confront this woman .

'' Stop it .How dare you slap her ? You know what ? Today was a great day and you ruined it for us . You should be ashamed of yourself ma'am . Chris is a great girl and she deserves something more than a mother like you . She is not selfish , you are the one who is selfish here. Not only did you leave your child , but you also dont take responsibility for your actions .'' I spatted . '' You will regret it one day . You really will . She doesn't need you . She has people who care about her .'' I said and her mother laughed slightly .

'' And who are you ?'' she asked .

'' I am her boyfriend and I care about her , unlike you .'' I said proudly . '' Just stay away from her . I mean it .'' I said and placed my arm around Chris as I guided her out of the mall .She then broke down . Ucontrollable sobs escaped from her mouth as she leaned on me for support . '' It's okay , Chris . You deserve people who love you .''  I said and she looked up at me . Her eyes puffy red from crying , her bottom lip trembling .I wiped away her tears and kissed her forehead , before geting into the bus . She plopped down in her seat and sighed .She looked out of the window avoiding my gaze . As soon as the bus was filled the driver headed back to school . Michael turned around with a questioning look . I mouthed him ''later'' and he nodded turning in his position . I patted her shoulder and she turned to look at me .

'' So Mars , huh ?'' I said trying to get her mind off her mother . She just placed her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes softly . I know that she isnt sleeping . She just doesnt want to talk . I softly kissed her nose and she slightly smiled , but that smile soon faded .