chapter 10

Chapter 10

(Sterl’s POV)

                Do you ever know that feeling when your mom looks at you accusingly and you don’t know if she’s supportive of you or not? And you get antsy and get paranoid of what she will say? That’s how I feel now.

                I sit side by side with Patrick while Karen sits across us. Vince is on the kitchen, trying hard not to laugh at us but fails miserably, I can clearly hear his stifled laugh and I can also make out some of those stifled laughs as K’s own laugh. He’ll be sorry later. My real problem now is Karen. She knows that I’m gay, but when she asks if I have someone in my life now, I would deny it.

                “So…” She starts. “How long is this going on behind my back?”

                “About a couple of months or more now, ma’am.” Patrick replies formally.

                Karen gasps and looks at me accusingly.

                “And you don’t plan on telling me this?!”

                I look at her guiltily and apologized. I was planning on telling her, but with the situation we are in, it was nearly impossible. And she’s busy with her work. She sighs heavily before running her fingers in her auburn hair.

                “And the fact that you’re dating a wolf.” She states. Patrick and I shot our heads in unison. Vince chokes on to something and coughs hardly, and I can hear K patting Vince’s back.

                “Tell me, Patrick, is Sterl your mate?” She asks.

                “I would know who my mate is on my birthday.”  Patrick replies.

                “Then tell me, what will happen to sterl when you find ---“ I cut her off by asking how she knew. I don’t want to hear what Patrick has to say, and I could also sense that Patrick is in deep thought about Karen’s question. I mentally groan, now he won’t stop thinking about it.

                Karen looks at me knowingly and thankfully, she didn’t push it. I know she knows that I’m avoiding those topics of mate. Instead, she answered my question of how she knew.

                “Jake and I are close friends. We’re childhood friends actually, I knew because of him. That was one night when he brought me to that party, it was his birthday party. It was funny remembering that night, because, he’s 16 years old and still they held a party for him. The party was held outside of his house, at your pack backyard, then, we were ambushed by rogues. He protected me from those rogues. That’s how I knew.” She explains.

                I nod and look at her. “So, are you fine with me and him?” I ask while pointing at Patrick and back at me. She laughs and stands up and hugs us both.

                “As long as this wolf won’t hurt you, I am.” She says. I laugh and mentally answer her that I can take care of myself.