Chapter 54: Fade

Chapter Fifty-Four
Fade

The hard surface of the pale cement is underneath my palms and I'm marking the ground red like a little kid who's put her hands in paint.

I crawl backwards until I'm in my own space again, breathing my own air. My heartbeat begins to slow and the adrenaline drains, allowing searing pain to leech in. I'm lying back on my elbows without knowing how I got there.

I turn my bleary eyes to the door as a large, dark shape slinks into the shed. Despite everything, a smile somehow finds it's way to my mouth.

Blue sprints across the room and almost crashes into me, dipping his head at the last moment to brush his muzzle into my neck. He whines a sound of agony, of relief. I run my outstretched hand into his short fur and bury my face in his shoulder.

We're both bloody but alive so neither of us cares.

“My boy,” I whisper. “I knew you'd find me.”

I cringe at the severe fire that engulfs my body and hold onto Blue, squeezing him tight. Everything grows heavy and I'm too tired to hold it all up. I let myself sink back onto the ground.

He moans and pushes his head under my hand, trying to keep me upright, trying to make me hold on. Then he falls down beside me.

How many times is he going to lay with me while I die?

I wish there was a way I could send him away, make sure he lives. But there's also a selfish part of me that's glad he's here with me at the end.

There's the familiar screeching of the shed's door being yanked open. Someone screams. Maybe it's my name, maybe it's something else. It's a dull cry that falls on deaf ears.

Blue is by my side, my hand slipping through his uncertain shape. He's fading, like me, his existence falling through my fingers like dust.

I hold on and tell him not to let go.

-------------
Sorry for the short chapter. Only two left until the end!
70 comments for the next update (: