Chapter 25: Monster High

Chapter Twenty-five
Monster High

I leave The Red Star by nightfall and return home to get some rest before school in the morning. I fall asleep pretty quickly and wake up feeling refilled and energized.

When I get to first period – English – Avery's usual seat beside me is vacant and by then I know she won't be coming today. The discovery of what Carter was must have really put her on edge.

I have to admit, seeing him smile at me from the other side of the classroom sets alight a new feeling inside my stomach. Something between fear and curiosity; what are Alphas like? What will change about Carter if he really becomes one?

I'm half-way through writing out a long paragraph that Ms. Clay has requested we copy down from the board, when there's three hard knocks at the door.

Ms. Clay goes over to open it for the figure standing in the doorway. I take in a sharp breath when I recognize the man.

“Officer Maine,” Mrs. Clay greets. “What can I do for you?”

“I need to speak to one of your students.” he replies.

No. No. No. Not me.

Officer Maine's eyes find mine.

“Parker Kingsley,” he says. “Please step outside.”

There are a few whispers and coos as I gather my stuff and rise from my seat.

Officer Maine. One half of the two man party that came to my house the day after Avery disappeared. He was the one assigned to her case, the one who over-looked every search made for her.

I follow Officer Maine out of the classroom and into the hall.

“Ms. Kingsley,” he says, staring at me with hard, frightening eyes. “It has come to my attention that Ms. Rodhe has returned to Westershade.”

I nod. “Yes, she has.”

Except her last name is Crane, not Rodhe.

“Do you or her have an explanation for where she's been the last four years?” he retrieves a notepad from his belt. “I'm sure the authorities and her parents would like to know.”

“She ran away.” I say immediately. “And you don't have to talk to her parents. She already went to see them and they've said they don't want anything to do with her.”

It's almost scary how good I am at lying.

I cross my arms over my chest. “They'd prefer just pretending she never existed.”

Officer Maine stares at me for a moment, almost as if he's trying to hide the fact that he's a little shocked by that. Or maybe he's just having a hard time believing me. I can't tell which one it is.

“Do you know her current address?” he asks.

I shake my head.

“Alright, well, I'll check into that,” he says, dotting the end of his written sentence and tucking the notepad away again. “You can go back to class now.”

I do, but for the rest of the lesson I sit in my seat just itching to grab out my phone and call Avery.

When the bell finally does ring, I snatch up my bag and shoot out of the classroom, already digging through it for my phone. I find Avery's number and stand aside from the passing crowd.

Avery picks up on the forth ring.

“Avery! Officer Maine just came to my classroom asking questions about you.” I say. “He knows you're back in town.”