Chapter 24: White Magic

Chapter Twenty-four
White Magic

With Avery gone and a seemingly lethal up-and-coming monster walking freely around my high school, I start to think about ways I can protect myself.

After having Jennifer, Maylin, Micah, Rhys, Avery, Jeremy and Tori all risking their lives to protect me against a bunch of Werewolves and Witches who wanted my head on a pike – for whatever reason – I've had a growing desire to learn how to do what they do, or at least be able to do something for myself the next time I'm attacked.

And I have a feeling that there will be a next time.

If I am a Witch, I'm sure there's some kind of...magical weapon I can use against them.

Sounds stupid when I think about it like that.

By the end of third period, I find myself wandering out of class and through the front gates into the parking lot.

There's only one person I can think of that would know anything about this kind of stuff. Just the way she acted, the way she looked at me. It left an impression.

I slide into the Impala and turn the key in the ignition to bring the sleek, blue Chevy to life. I drive my way through Westershade and out onto the forest road connecting us to Lochton. I pass by all the clothing shops and cafes and pull up next to the curb across the street from The Red Star.

I run across the street and throw open the front door so suddenly that it clatters against the wall. Morna is standing behind the counter and her head lifts when the sound rings through the building.

“Are you a Witch?” I ask, slightly breathless from my sprint across the road.

Her lips curl into a smile and she straightens up, leaving the book in front of her open.

“No,” she says. “I'm not a Witch.”

I let out a sigh of both relief and disappointment.

“But,” Morna gathers her skirt and steps out from behind the counter. “I'm something else.”

My eyes fly back to her and I straighten up. “Something else?”

She links her hands together in front of her. “There's many different names for me, one for each time and religion. Sibyl, Augur, Soothsayer.” She says, her smile still soft on her features. “But I prefer Seer.”

“You're a Seer?” I gape. “As in... someone who sees visions of the future?”

She answers with a single nod.

“So you know nothing about... witchcraft?”

Morna smiles. “I know a lot of things, child, and witchcraft is, in fact, one of them.”

I nod slowly and bite the inside of my cheek as I wander further into the room.

“Would you be... willing to teach me?” I ask and when her smile drops away, I hurry on. “Everyone believes I'm a Witch already so I was thinking I should probably start putting whatever abilities I have to good use –“

“Okay.” she says.

I freeze.

“Okay?” I ask. “That's just it? You'll help me?”

“Of course.” she says. “I can teach you how to protect yourself, and how to protect your friends. Because sooner or later, the time will come when they won't be able to defend themselves.”

I don't like these little impending disaster hints I keep getting.

“Come with me,” she turns and disappears through the beaded curtain.