Chapter 29: Terror

Chapter Twenty-nine
Terror

I wake up in my bed.

At first I lie here enjoying the calm and the warmth of my quiet bedroom. A light rainfall pitter-patters against my closed window, droplets racing each other down the frosty glass.

But then I start to realize that I have no idea how I got here.

I spring up out of bed to find I'm a lot more certain on my feet than I was yesterday. The wound feels almost completely healed but I don't waste time checking it. I fling open my bedroom door and run downstairs to peer through the house's front window.

The Impala sits in the driveway without a scratch.

How did I manage to drive myself home yesterday? Or maybe someone else did it for me?

“Parker?”

I lean back off the window sill and turn around to face the man sitting at the kitchen table.

“Dad.” I greet.

“Would you come in here and... and talk?“ he gives me a small smile.

I nod and walk into the kitchen. I lean back against the bench top instead of taking a seat across from him.

“How are you?” I cross my arms over my chest and stare at him as he gazes down into his coffee.

“Okay.” he says and rises the mug to take a sip. “How are you? We haven't talked in a... in a long while.”

I nod and clear my throat so my voice doesn't waver when I speak.

“I'm good.” I say and incredibly find myself believing it. “Avery came back. She's been here for a couple months now.”

He looks up from his cup at me then, eyes a little wide in what must be surprise.

“That's good.” he says. “That's really good. How is she?”

I huff a little laugh and look downwards, giving myself just a second to fully realize how different my life must look to him from the outside. Human friends, a normal high school. For the last eleven years his world has revolved around a glass filled with bitter liquid and a mind swirling with heartbreak. I don't think he could ever completely understand how much he's missed.

“She's good too, the last time I checked.” I reply. “She lives here with her brother now.”

“Brother?” he asks, astounded.

Dad wears the same expression I imagine I did the day I first found out about Avery's long lost sibling.

“Yeah, brother.” I nod. “There's a whole explanation behind that. Maybe another day.”

He nods and goes silent.

“Sweetheart, are you sure you're okay?” he asks. I look back up at him. “You seem... tired.”

I reach up and rub at my eyes, almost as if I could vanquish the exhaustion from my features.

“I suppose I am.” I say, then drop my hand. “But it's nothing to worry about. Just need a little more sleep, that's all.”

“Well, maybe you could have today off?” he suggests. “Stay home and rest.”

“Sure.” I say with a small smile.

As I'm about to leave, I think of something else to ask him.

“Hey dad,” I say, grabbing his attention again.