Chapter 15: Don't Come Home

Chapter Fifteen
Don't Come Home

When I wake up, it feels like my bones have melded themselves together, prepared to let me lie in bed for eternity.

It takes me another half an hour after I've woken up to actually get out of bed. I pull my fingers through my hair and try to comb out the knots. Eventually, I give up and just tie it up into a bun atop my head. My clothes are rumpled by sleep and my breath smells like something dead.

When I open the door, Blue brushes up against my legs with a hello meow.

I search Avery's bathroom for some toothpaste but manage to find mouthwash instead. I splash warm water on my face but it does nothing to wipe away the fog clouding my brain.

My hand aches. But not just uncomfortably, like I've been lying on it for too long. There are rivet's of pain shooting through the center of my bones in time with my heartbeat. I cradle it against my chest and make my way downstairs.

Outside the lounge room windows I'm surprised to see that it's still dark. I mustn't have been asleep for long.

I pad into the kitchen, take a seat at the table in the center and prop my face up on my one good hand.

"Sleeping beauty finally awakes."

I smack my knee's against the table when I jump and spin around to glare at Rhys.

"Give a girl a warning before you sneak up on her." I snap.

"I was here first." He says nonchalantly.

I roll my eyes and look back down at the table. "Have you guys got any Panadol?"

Rhys opens a cupboard and tosses a small white and orange box on the table in front of me. The rattle of pills inside confirms he's found what I've asked for. I swallow the pills dry and lean back in my chair.

"What time is it?" I ask.

He sips at the glass he's holding and glances at the wall behind me. "Eight thirty."

I nod and close my eyes again.

Then he adds; "Tuesday night."

My eyes snap open. "Tuesday!" I leap out of my chair. "I have to go to work! I can't just not show up for my shifts! I'll get fired! God dammit why didn't you wake me up?"

"It's not my job." He says. "And anyway, your Hound was guarding the bedroom door. It's not like I could get close even if I tried."

I prevent myself from snapping at him again and instead hurry towards the front door.

"Calm down." Rhys laughs from behind me and then turns back towards the kitchen. "Avery called them and said you had the flu."

I freeze in the door frame and sigh in relief. Well, that's one problem I won't have to deal with.

I trudge back in after him, slightly embarrassed. "Why didn't you tell me that in the first place?"

"I thought it'd be fun to watch you freak out." He smirks. "It was."

I groan and sit back in my chair. "Where's Avery?"

"She's gone out." He says.

"Yeah, where?"

"Do you really need to know?"

"Yes," I snap. "I do."

"She's gone to get groceries."

I give him a sweet smile. "Was that so hard?"

He rolls his eyes and walks out of the kitchen. I get up and follow him.