Chapter 10: Tap Tap Tap

Chapter Ten
Tap Tap Tap

"Y
ou knocked him unconscious." Avery states as she look's down at dad's body.

The moment I hit him, he went sprawling onto the carpet, completely out of it. I've never hit anyone before in my life and didn't even once consider that the first person would be my own father. But here I am, awkwardly looking down at him on the floor.

"I'll admit, it wasn't my best idea." I say.

I had attempted to move him upstairs but he was too heavy for me to carry by myself. And I couldn't just leave him laying in the doorway. My only choice was to call someone to help me and since no one besides Avery knows about my dad, I've had to call her.

"Parker," She says, finally turning to face me. "The other day, I didn't mean to-"

I was hoping she wouldn't bring up anything to do with our latest spit. It would be easier if - for the time being - we could pretend it didn't happen. 

"Just help me get him upstairs." I say, not looking at her.

Avery grabs him under the arms and I grab his feet. Together, we manage to carry him upstairs and drop him on his bed. A dark purple bruise is already beginning to form beneath his left eye and I cringe at the sight of it.

"Don't worry." She says. "It'll fade pretty quickly."

We make our way back downstairs and toward's the kitchen where I'm planning on making myself a drink and copying Avery's method of conversation: Avoiding every question she asks and hopefully easing her out of the house as quickly as I can.

Tap tap tap.

We pause in the middle of the lounge room and turn to look at the front door.

"Expecting anyone?" Avery asks. I shake my head.

She walks towards the door. I don't even have time to object to her answering it before she turns the knob and swings it open.

Her body is blocking me from getting a good view at the tall figure now standing in my doorway. But I get quick glimpses of short cropped black hair, pale skin and flashing black eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Avery asks with what sounds like a real in-the back-of-her-throat growl.

"I'm here for the same reason we all are." The stranger says. His eyes shift from Avery over to me and a cruel smile pulls at his lips.

"I'm here for her."