Chapter 13: Untold Tales

Chapter Thirteen
Untold Tales

Darkness is yanked away and light screams it's way back into my life.

I grimace against the pain of it's brightness, but soon it fade's to illuminate the familiar furnishings of an open lounge room.

"What the hell!" I shout and angrily glace around the room.

I spot Rhys leaning against the hallway wall, grinning broadly at me with two arms crossed over his chest.

"What is wrong with you!" I shout. "I thought I was going to die!"

He laughs and I shoot daggers at him.

"We had to make sure you weren't going to tell anyone." A quiet voice says from across the room.

I freeze.

Oh god.

I slowly let my gaze creep over to Avery who's standing with her hands clasped together at the foot of the stairs. She's watching me nervously, smiling despite the hurt I can see dancing in her eyes.

I quickly look away; my own twisting emotion's eating away at my insides. I flick a hot glare at Rhys.

"And you thought the best way to do that was to kidnap me?"

He shrugs, amusement lingering across his expression. "It's not like you were going to go willingly."

I roll my eyes. "And I suppose knocking me out was really necessary."

He choke's on a laugh and puts two hand's up in defense. "Hey, that had nothing to do with me. That was all you. One minute you're thrashing around like a fish out of water and the next you've cracked your own head against the steering wheel."

My cheeks flame with embarrassment. I'm sure that looked super intelligent.

"Where's my car?" I ask him.

"In the driveway."

"You drove it?" I balk.

No one - besides myself and the guy who owned it before me - had ever driven my car. Not Dad, not Stacey and definitely not Lara. Especially after we learned that she'd be better at absolutely anything if it was compared to her motoring skills.

"Of course." Rhys replies.

"Parker," Avery says, stepping further into the room. "We need to know you're not going to tell anyone about this."

I cast a look at her. "Who's going to believe that I've just seen my childhood friend change into a wolf? That kind of talk would get me locked up in a white padded cell for the rest of my life."

"You'd be surprised by what some people believe." Rhys says, all joking manner gone from his tone.

I sigh, bringing my hands together in my lap.

"So..." I say and look up at Avery. "Maybe you should...uhh...explain this a little further. Cause I'm pretty damn confused."

She bite's the edge of her lip and nods. "I'm a Werewolf. And since Rhys is my brother, that makes him one too."

I give her an unbelieving look. "Werewolves?"

"Werewolves." She confirms.

"Dear god." I groan and drop my face into my hands.

Everything I know about Werewolves - which turns out to be not all that much - from movies and books comes flowing to the front of my mind; They turned on the full moon, they lived in the woods, they hated silver.