I Need You (Twelve)

We had been driving for a while now. Vincent had been lying on the back seat; I was on top of him, that is, until the car screeched to a sudden stop, sending me flying across the back of the limo. Vincent gracefully jumped up and walked over to me, helped me up, then opened the window to ask the driver what had gone wrong. But when he opened the window, Vincent jumped back, grabbing me by the arm like a toddler, he opened the door. I quickly looked around to see dark shadows moving against the sunset backdrop, slowly coming toward us. The red sky looked as if it was a vortex, spitting out these shadows, and threatening to take us into another world.

                “Hello gentlemen.” Vincent said politely. “What can we do for you this fine evening?” He asked, slowly backing up. ‘When I tell you to I want you to run.’ I heard in my mind.

                ‘Why can’t you just fight them off?’ I asked back, hoping he was paying attention.

                ‘They won’t all go at me, and I cannot fight and protect you at the same time. Do as I say.’

                The men slowly got closer to us. The leader, the on with the symbol on his black suit, said, “I hear you’re looking for you brother.”

                “Well yes, I have been for a while now. Do you know where he is?” Vincent asked.

                “Yes, the same place you’re going.” They all moved it. It was like something out of a horror movie. They jumped for Vincent.

                “RUN!” He screamed as he fought them off.

                I ran as fast as I could opposite of the direction we were heading. I could hear my head pounding in my chest as I looked back. Vincent was kicking ass, but two of them were following close behind me. I was still on the main road, but I knew I had to get away from them, and while I was not sure what this woodland held, but it became my asylum.

                As I darted through the trees it became apparent that this was more difficult than I had planned. And while none of them were in sight or sound, I knew I had to keep going. I ran deeper and deeper into the forest, though I fell quite a few times. Then suddenly my mind went blank, and my body stopped moving. I didn’t think. I didn’t move. I didn’t breath. I didn’t notice the two pairs of footsteps leading up to my dying body.

**********

Vincent:

                After a while I had destroyed all of them but the ones that had went after Lucia. I was sure she could run fast, and maybe even win in a fight against one of them, but two of them were pushing it. I quickly ran in the same direction she had. Getting off the main road and into the forest I tried to sense her mind. It was not present. I needed to hurry. I ran as fast as I could to her scent, but once I got to a certain point in the forest, it disappeared. There was nothing that told me which way to go. I stood there and thought. Then it came to me to search for the scent of the men that had been trailing her. As I did this I smelled them, and began walking to my right. I moved cautiously because I didn’t know what position Lucia was in. But a scream I knew all too well made me run as fast as I could through the trees. Her screams continued when I was getting closer. I smelled her then, her flesh rotting. Then I saw it.

                The flames were alive under the metal pentacle that held Lucia into place. Screams kept coming from her throat as the flames burned away her life. She gasped for air as she looked into my eyes. I ran to her as the men fled. The flames were growing, consuming her life. I walked through the fire. When I got to Lucia she was giving up. I untied her burnt hands from the pentacle and ran away from the fire. Her screaming had stopped, her breathing had slowed. She looked as if she was sleeping; I knew time was running out. Her body was black and red, her hair mostly gone. I screamed in frustration. I should have gone with her. I shouldn’t have left her alone. My heart began to break. This confused me, but I didn’t want her to die. I enjoyed her company. I knew I’d never find someone like her. The time I spent with her meant more to me than finding my brother. There was a moment left, I knew. I had to let her go, or risk turning her. She would need a lot of my blood to survive, but maybe too much. It could turn her, and I would never wish that upon her. I know she would make me regret it. She would hate me even more for it. Her smile went through my head. The last day I was with her before I left went through my mind. And the time I spent searching for my brother, my heart not being in it. The moments when I stood outside of buildings, thinking of seeing her again. Of holding her closely in my arms and of the pain I had caused her. I didn’t regret hurting her, she deserved it. But now looking down at her body dying, I couldn’t believe that I had ever caused her pain. I couldn’t believe that I had fucked with her head.

                So I made a choice then, I would try to save her. I would give her my blood and pray that she would still be human when I was finished. I prayed that she was not already dead. And as I did, I promised that I would never hurt her again, no matter what she did to me. And with this last prayer, I bit my wrist and carefully opened her mouth. The wound kept closing, so I had to reopen it every few minutes. I felt myself getting weak. But I needed her alive. I needed to save her, even if it meant that I didn’t feed in time. My eyes closed as I lie down on the ground beside of her, still holding my wrist over her mouth, slowly slipping into unconsciousness. My hand dropping on her mouth, my body too weak to heal itself, I allowed my body to shut down.

************

Lucia:

                I awoke with a headache and pain in my lungs. I could still smell the wood burning. I looked down at my nearly naked body, as I removed Vincent’s hand from my face. It was dirty, but whole. My wounds were gone. I thought maybe it had been an illusion, but then remembered my clothes were gone. I looked over at Vincent, he was so pale. His body looked almost blue. I screamed, moving him around. “Vincent, wake up, please wake up. Oh my god, don’t die. I need you please, wake up!” His eyes opened.

                “You’re alright.” He smiled. I frowned.

                “You’re not.”

                “It doesn’t matter. I’m just happy you are. I’m tired, Lucia. I think I need to sleep.”

                “No! You’re not alright. You need blood.” I moved toward him, helping him up. “Drink from me. Hurry!”

                “No. You’re too weak.”

                “No, I feel great, please Vincent.” I pulled his head to my neck and felt him kiss it.

                “Lucia darling, you need to go.”

                “No. You need to drink. Do it. NOW!” I screamed. He was making me angry. I didn’t feel weak. I felt strong. Like I could do anything.

                “No.” I gently put him back on the ground and walked away toward the woods, getting a sharp rock that had sliced through my knee on the way here while they were dragging me. I found it and began walking back, while slicing my arm with it. When I got to Vincent’s body, his eyes were closed. I opened his mouth and held my arm, which was spewing blood, on it. After a minute, he opened his eyes, sat up, grabbed my arm, and brought it to his mouth. He licked the blood off while closing the wound. He smiled. “Why did you do that?” He asked me.

                “You were dying.”

                “I thought you wanted me dead. I remember you saying that to me before.”

                “I need you.” I smiled and blushed.

                “And I need you.” He smiled back at me as his lips fell upon mine.