A Proud Father (Thirty-Nine)

Vincent:

                I watched her quietly, because she was still sleeping. My arms were wrapped around her and I would never let her go. She was my world. I had decided that I would never go on a trip without her. She was going to be the queen very soon, and she would be my wife in about a week. I was sure she would look amazing. Then I wondered about the honeymoon. Would we go on one? I was unsure of what my beautiful bride wanted. Though if I asked her I was sure she’d only tell me what she thought I wanted. Truthfully I don’t care if we go somewhere. I just want her in my arms. I also wondered how long she wanted to wait until we had a child. I don’t mind waiting at all. But she was worried about Gren’s vision coming true. I never mean to listen in on her thoughts, but sometimes it just happens. She was really worried. Maybe she didn’t want to have my child. I would understand, I’ve treated her horribly.

                “Vincent?” She asked, stirring in her sleep.

                “Yes love?” She stopped moving so I kissed her gently on the forehead. There was a knock at the door. I sighed and tried not to wake Lucia as I answered the door. “What is it?” I asked one of the older human slaves.

                “Master…” She trailed off.          

                “What is it?” I asked, clearly annoyed.

                “Someone wanted me to give this to you. He just left it here. I’m sorry sir.” She bowed. I took the envelope from her hand and shut the door. I ripped it open:

                Congratulations on the bride and the throne. You deserve them both. I know you will make a great king, husband, and father. I know this because you were the perfect son. You always did what I asked you to do. You did what was needed of you and I know that you will succeed. I am sorry I will not be able to attend the coronation or wedding. I am sure that someday you will understand why I ended up gone. It was not my choice, son. I am a coward. I did not stay and fight. I know you will, though. You are a strong man. Your wits are compelling. You are cunning and brave. That girl of yours is beautiful too. Take care of her, Vince. And take care of your future children too. Thank you for raising Sarah and helping Gren. Give them both my love, but not directly. I am sorry about your mother. That must have been a terribly choice for you to make. I love you all. Maybe one day we shall meet again. Good luck, son. You have made me so proud.

                Love,

                                Your father.

                By the end of the letter tears were streaming down my face. He was alive and well. That made me happy. “Thank you.” I told whatever being watched over us.

                “Thank who?” Lucia asked, sitting up. “And for what?”

                “Lucia!” I ran to hold her in a tight embrace, “My father sent me a letter, love. He’s alive!” I was smiling, and when I pulled back she was too.

                “Is he well?”

                “It appears so. He told me he is proud of me. He’s never said that before.” It was true.

                “I’m so happy for you, Vincent. Are you seeing him soon?”

                “Not soon, maybe not ever, but this letter means so much.” I kissed her as I sat the letter on the table.

                “Vincent I don’t want to ruin the happy moment or anything…” Uh oh.

                “What is it?” I became anxious.

                “It’s just that I’m feeling really sick.” She looked it too. Her face was drained of the remaining color she had after I turned her.

                “You’re probably hungry.” I called a maid to bring up some food.

                “I don’t think that’s it, but okay.”

                “What is it?”

                “I’m scared.” She whispered, hoping that I wouldn’t hear her.

                “Of what?”

                “You know…” She was looking down.

                “I don’t, sweetie. Tell me what’s wrong.” I lifted her chin up so I could look into those beautiful blue eyes.

                “About the wedding and coronation, about the baby.” She mumbled the last part, I wasn’t even sure what she said.

                “And the what?”

                “The baby.” She said a bit louder.

                “Don’t be worried about any of it. I’ve taken care of everything for the first two. Except the dress which you will be picking in about an hour, and as for a baby…We can wait as long as you want.” She smiled then.

                “What about bride’s maids and things like that? I don’t exactly have very many vampire friends.”

                “You know contrary to popular belief I have many friends. Some happen to be female. You’re meeting them tonight actually. I was going to invite them all over for a pool party. How does that sound?” She was smiling. I knew that she liked the idea.