Brother Gren (Thirteen)

The walk home was long, but we made it hand in hand. The car had been destroyed by the insane vampires that attacked us. My mind wondered to the past and how things would be different now. Vincent was watching me carefully, as if he expected me to break down, which might very well happen. When we got home he ordered me to eat something, though the order was a questioning one. I could tell that he was having a hard time deciphering my emotions, but honestly, I was too. Although I had told him several times that I was okay, I wasn’t sure that I believed it. I didn’t feel okay and by the look on Vincent’s face, I didn’t look okay. I looked up to Vincent while we were lying on his bed together. He was looking worried again. I had not spoken very much since we had saved each other.

                “Lucia?” His voice broke.

                “Yes, Master?” I asked with a faint smile.

                “Don’t call me that.” He said harshly to me.

                “Yes, Vincent?” I asked, a bit taken aback by his sudden anger.

                “I’m sorry.” I knew he wasn’t only apologizing for his outburst. And I smiled at him.

                “Me too.”

                “You have nothing to be sorry for. You’ve done nothing wrong, not really.” He had begun playing with my hair. “You know little one, you’ve made me very happy as of late. I think maybe I’ll reward you. What do you think?” He asked.

                “I’d like that very much.” I told him.

                “Let’s go shopping when you’re feeling up to it, you can pick out something very nice.” I smiled up at him.

                “Like what?”

                “Anything you’d like.” I twisted my body so my legs were on both sides of Vincent and my head lay on his chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he wrapped his around my waist. “Are you in pain?” He asked after I let out a sigh.

                “No, I’m just comfortable. Are you? Am I too heavy?” He laughed very loudly.

                “You weigh all of 100 pounds. Besides, I’m a vampire. We can handle anything.” He flexed his arm muscles then. I laughed with him.

*************

                The rest of the day was spent sleeping peacefully until a knock came on the bedroom door. Following this knock was the door being opened, someone running in and screaming at us to wake up. I was clearly already awake, so I sat up, as did Vincent. “What?” He asked the maid in a harsh tone.

                “It seems that something is not right, Master. You both need to come right away.” I was worried now. Vincent was too. We quickly followed her downstairs, running the whole way, when we came into the ball room a man was standing there, covered in blood. I couldn’t make out if it was his blood or something else’s. He had long frizzy brown hair, a cowboy hat, brown dirty clothes, and some brown boots. His clothing was worn with holes in it. Dried blood was smeared in his hair.

                “Gren?” Vincent asked.

                “Aye.” The man said, with his head still down, but taking a step toward Vincent. “Who’s this pretty little thing?” He asked, eyeing me from under his hat.

                “This is Lucia. Where have you been?” He asked astonished, or so it seemed.

                “Well after Eastin got me, I ended up going back to his place and was tortured there for a while. Then I went back south after I escaped, looking for some chinias, and then I found out about your new place here and came here soon as I could. Where is dad?” Vincent’s face looked down at the last part. I had never met his father.

                “He’s gone.” Vincent spoke. And this time Gren looked up at us like we were insane.

                “What do you mean ‘gone’, gone where?” He asked.

                “He just disappeared a few years ago. I thought you would have noticed.” Vincent said.

                “Noticed? The whole bloody race hasn’t noticed. Who’s been dealing with things?” He was outraged.

                “Mom. She’s been trying her best, but she’s very ill. I’m not sure what will become of this place when she dies.” He said solemnly.

                “Why aren’t you helping her?” Gren asked accusingly.

                “I’ve been rather busy, brother. Besides, you’re next in line for the throne. Not I.” Vincent said matter-of-factly.

                “I don’t want the bloody throne. I’d just as soon kill myself ‘fore I’d take it. Anyways my head ain’t quite right. You know that. I lose it sometimes. I’d be a terrible king.” I was shocked by this point. They were princes? I mean I knew they were rich, but I had no idea that they were freaking royalty.

                “All you have to do is give it to me. Not that I really want it, but I think we can both agree that I’d deal with it better than you would, brother.” They both laughed at this.

                “So Lucia, dear, you look like you’re having a heart attack. Ya okay?” Gren asked me.

                “I’m fine. I just um, I didn’t know that Vincent was a prince.” It was Vincent’s turn to look shocked.

                “I never told you?” He asked.

                “No. Never.” I laughed it off.

                “I’m sorry, Love.”

                “So how long have you two  known each other?” Gren asked.

                “A few months. I’m his slave.” I told him.

                “He don’t act like you’re his slave.” Gren said.

                “Well things have changed a great deal on my quest to find you. Let’s all go into the dining room and we’ll talk it over. We’ll even call mother.” Vincent said as we began walking hand in hand to the dining room as he picked up his phone and called his mother.