The Hail Line (Forty-Nine)

My hands were shaking, but I was silent. My heart was furiously beating (the blood I had this morning made this possible), but my breath was even. My stomach was aching, but no vomit came. My head was pounding, but my vision remained clear. My thoughts, however, were not. What would they think of me? Would they accept me? How would I help Vincent rule?

                I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a guard speak, “Princess, it’s time.” We had rehearsed this much over the last few weeks, and although I never messed up, I was still nervous.

                “Thank you.” I told him as I put my full weight on my feet instead of the bathroom counter. The crimson ball gown I wore was held up by my thin white hands. My gorgeous wedding ring was shining on my hand. I smiled down at it and remembered last night, how precious it had been. I sighed and took a few steps forward and glanced in the mirror. My black hair was pulled into a curly bun, with jewels woven into the sides. The dark make-up around my eyes made the blue explode. My full red lips looked so kissable, and I wish they could be kissed right now, by my sweet Prince. I looked to the guard who was now standing outside of our bedroom door. I kept pace with his as he led me behind the ball room, where two sets of stairs led to the thrones.

                “You look beautiful.” Vincent complimented as he walked to me.

                “Thank you. You look beautiful as well.” He was about to kiss me when Annie ran in between us.

                “No! You’ll mess up her lipstick!” She yelled loudly.

                “Okay, geeze Annie. Shouldn’t you be out there with everyone else?” Vincent was annoyed, I could tell from both his face and thoughts.

                “I just wanted to wish you guys luck.” She said meanly.

                “Why do we need luck? Oh god, I knew something bad was going to happen.” I told Vincent, tears threatening to spill over.

                “That’ll be enough Annie, go join the crowd.” Vincent told her. When she scoffed off Vincent turned to me, “Hey, don’t cry, nothing is going to go wrong. Everything will be perfect and when the coronation is over we’ll relax in our room. I’ll give you a back massage while you take a nice hot bath, okay?” He rubbed my back gently as he spoke.

                “You’re right, everything will be fine.” I smiled at him and blinked away my tears.

                “Your majesties, it’s time, please take your marks.” A man spoke to us. We hesitantly parted and a kissed was placed on my forehead. Vincent stayed in front of the left staircase as I walked to the right staircase. He was on the left because I was to be his right hand. The queen was no always the right hand; it’s all about the blood. While our blood is the same (royal), his is older than mine.

                All of the instruments began to play. I looked to Vincent, who smiled reassuringly at me. I smiled back to him as the trumpets sounded. This was our cue. I looked to Vincent and he looked to me as we walked forward in sync. I held my ball gown as I walked down the stairs that curved to fit the stage. Our thrones were made of white gold. The cushions were read with the family crest embedded on the back. I looked to the crowd, their heads were bowed. I smiled, this was a good sign.

                As we each stood in front of our throne the man began to speak, “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining me today as we celebrate the passing of the throne. Though our previous king, Philip, and our queen Maya, cannot be here, we will remember them as we go down the line. We shall begin with the great James Justice and his queen Martha Clove. The next in line, their daughter, Amanda Justice and he love, Kris Cavinnes. And their son Kris Cavinnes the second together with Linda Hoy. Then their daughter, Shelly Cavinnes married Holden Hail. From them came the wonderful Philip Hail who married the lovely Maya Roberts.”

                The man stopped speaking to dab his eyes with a handkerchief, “Let us be silent for a moment as we remember those who have fallen.” All was silent, heads bowed. I heard the bald man who had been speaking sniffle quite a few times. When he stopped he continued, “And today we will celebrate their son, Vincent Hail, who bonded with Lucia Grey, as they will be taking over our world. We welcome them with loving and open arms as they take on the power and responsibility. We ask a promise from them.” He turned to us then, taking my left hand and Vincent’s right hand. “We ask that you promise to always protect our kind and choose what is right for us. Do you, Prince Vincent, promise that?”

                “I, Prince Vincent of the Hail line promise to protect our kind and choose what is right for us.” Vincent spoke loudly and clearly.

                “If you promise as a Prince you must surely want to promise as a king.” A crown was placed on Vincent’s head.

                “I, King Vincent of the Hail line promise to protect our kind and choose what is right for us.” Vincent spoke again, smiling the whole time, yet looking serious.

                “Bow down to your king!” The man spoke, turning on the crowd.

                They did as they were told and chanted, “All hale King Vincent of the Hail line!” The bald man turned to me now.

                “Do you Princess Lucia, promise that?”

                “I, Princess Lucia of the Hail line promise to protect our kind and choose what is right for us.” I spoke just as loudly as Vincent.

                “If you promise as a Princess you must surely want to promise as a queen.” A smaller crown that matched Vincent’s was placed on my head now. We matched.

                “I, Queen Lucia of the Hail line promise to protect our kind and choose what is right for us.” I smiled like Vincent had.

                “Bow down to your queen!” The man again turned to the crowd.

                They bowed to me as well and chanted again, “All hale Queen Lucia of the Hail line!”

                “As we welcome new crowns, we welcome new life. Praise now the heir to the throne, the heir that is not yet born!”

                “All hale the heir to the throne, next in the Hail line.” They spoke and bowed.

                This part was the part I was most worried about. This was the part where the people spoke. Not all of the people, just one, a representative. He or she would speak and let us know if the people accepted us as king and queen or not.

                “King Vincent, Queen Lucia, this is your world and we are your people. We accept you and will always do so. Welcome.” My smile became real as I heard his words. I let out a sigh of relief.

                “Thank you all.” Vincent spoke as we sat in our thrones. Music began to play and lights flew around the room. The people were dancing and praising us as they did.