Chapter 17 - The Box

The whole pack barged through the doors, dispersing to take their seats. Nate and Conan made their way down the aisle to the stage, with Ezra behind them pushing Krista in a wheelchair. She looked more alive with colour in her cheeks and eyes. She must not have the energy to walk yet, hence the wheelchair.

He parks her front row and strides up the steps, giving us all a predatory stare. Nate and Conan stood on either side of us, leading Rem to try and make conversation with Nate.

"I could be a great dog! I can fetch, rollover, probably won't run because I trip over my feet easily..." He continued trying to convince them to keep him alive as a pet.

"Please stop talking." Nate pleaded.

Ezra stood in front of us, facing the pack. He emitted a low growl, getting everyone to stop there talking and their attention to be on him.

"Safety. Protection of the ones I love. Protection of my people. Those are things I value most in being an Alpha. So, when people like this," He motioned to us. "Come onto our land and threaten those things — I take action I see fit. Especially when it's power too dangerous to walk the face of this earth."

Give me a break.

"All of you who chose to come today, to watch as I take action to protect this pack from these things." Ok, that's just flat out rude. "Are why I do this." He stepped to the aside as Conan stepped forward.

"State your full name and species." He commanded, starting with Avernus.

"Avernus Salvatore. Dragonblood."

"Adria Willows, Witch."

"Willows?" I heard Krista faintly gasp. Why is she so surprised by my name?

"Rina Rise. Human?"

And finally was Rem.

"Rem. Rem."

Everyone silently looks at each other with confusion. Ezra even took a whiff in Rem's direction and got majorly confused.

"You were named after what you are?" Conan asked.

"Well, you see-"

"I don't care." Ezra declared "Nate." He raised an eyebrow at his son.

We all turned our heads as far as we could to see what he was talking about. Nate walked to what downed like the wall and pushed a few bricks. He came back into our line of sight holding a dusty pink box with gold-encrusted around the edges.

An intense pull almost made my legs collapse and caused my heart to beat faster.

The pull.

The pull towards the box.

That was the box.

Nate undid the golden latch and opened the box to show a plush white inside holding a golden dagger. Ezra delicately took the knife and inspected it. "Gold can kill dark magic." He informed us.

But I could take my eyes off the beautiful box.

"Please don't do this." Rina sobbed, staring in horror at the blade.

"We were just passing by," Avernus tried to argue. "We didn't even know if we were out of our town!"

"Well then, you should have brought a map." He took slow taunting steps towards us, pointing the dagger at each of us, threatening us. Avernus started arguing some more, but it was all drowned out as the pull was so strong it was becoming hard to breathe.

I can't die when the box is so close.

I turned my head to Ezra and gave him the most hostile glare I could muster. "I could have killed her. I saved her life and this is your way of thanking me."

"I would have figured it out eventually."

"You're a mutt. You probably didn't even realize the flowers had grown because you're too concerned with your position and power over the pack. My guess is you're probably trying to set an example as you train your shithead son to take your place because you would have gone insane if you lost her." His murderous eyes wouldn't move from mine as I kept talking. "I don't know much about werewolves, but I know damn well that when one loses their other half, they lose themselves. So if I was really trying to be a threat to your little kennel, I would have easily pinched her nose and watched as she took her last breath."

He raised the blade to my neck and pressed hard.

"Don't even try to tell me you didn't want to kill her. You've got the eyes of someone who's killed."

"And so do you."

We silently stared at each other, neither of us backing down. His hit breath fanned over my face — it smelt like salami, unsurprisingly. I knew alpha males were territorial and overall cocky, but I also knew they hated losing a game of dominance. So when Ezra saw I wasn't going to back down in our staring contest, he huffed and stomped to Rem's end of the stage.

"Rem, Rina Rose, Adria Willows and Avernus Salvatore. I am executing you on behalf of the Arcadia pack for trespassing, harboring dark magic, and threatening our Luna." He directed the last one to me.

He strolled over to Avernus and held the dagger to his throat. "Any last words?"

"Yes actually," he answered, making Ezra raise an eyebrow. "Your church is about to get fuck up."

A loud screech was heard from outside, then the grey creatures smashed through the windows.

x
Vote, Comment, Share

This is the type of box I was imagining, just with more of a dusty pink colour