Chapter 11 - All Aboard

The smell of something dead and the sound of rushing water overtook our senses, making Rina stop because she started to feel nauseous. "What the hell is that?" She screwed her face up and covered her mouth and nose with the hem of her shirt.

"The famous red river." Rem replied, continuing without the smell affecting him at all. Avernus and I also had our mouths and nose covered with the hem of our clothing.

"Maybe the town people aren't scared of the witches — they're scared of the smell." I joked, holding in a gag as we got closer to the water.

"Isn't the water red because of human sacrifices or something?" Avernus asked with a slightly muffled voice.

"That's one legend. I personally believe some witch cursed the town for whatever reason."

"But if they just cursed the town then why would the whole river be red?"

"It's not." I coughed as the smell got stronger. "The moment you get past the town line it's clean fresh water. No one knows how it got that way and no one is really brave enough to find out."

"And are you brave enough?"

"I don't care to find out. I have much bigger issues to deal with."

We reached the river bank and looked at the current rapidly flowing through. I've never seen the river this close before, but the blood redness of the water was kind of beautiful. It would be a great tourist site if it didn't smell like a bunch of decomposing carcasses.

"We have to cross, don't we?" Rina said in an upset tone.

"Looks like it." I'm not amused about trudging in the water either, but if I have to I have to.

I peered to take a better look at how deep it goes, but the water was so dark that I couldn't see the bottom from where I was standing. I turned to Avernus, seeing he was the tallest.

"What?"

"You're tall," I stated. "And probably have better eyesight than us."

"You want me to walk into the water and see how deep it is, don't you?" He sighed, checking the water from where he was standing next to me. "What if I get some sort of infection?"

"Then we'll search your body for anything valuable then continue on." Rem innocently smiled. "Can I also sit on your shoulders? Because I can't swim."

Avernus rolled his eyes and slowly moved deeper into the water. He got a quarter of the way across as the water licked at his non exposed knees. His eyes looked calculated as he observed the rushing water, probably looking for anything dangerous. "It's fine to cross!" He called back to us.

"Nah, I'm good." Rem shook his head and started walking down the riverbank. "I'll just walk across the log over here." We all looked down at the bank and saw there was, in fact, a fallen log that looked sturdy enough to cross. Rina had no second thoughts before rushing after Rem, leaving Avernus and me alone.

The look of pure annoyance on Avernus's face made me let out a small chuckle. "Come on Candle Boy, let's get out of the water before you grow an extra hand." I waved in the direction of the others and walked away with a smile on my face.

Rem stood in the middle of the log. "It's fine, I've crossed this many times and I haven't fell in yet."

"That's because you probably weigh the size of a grape." Rina shot back.

"I prefer snowflake, thank you very much."

"Well," I chimed in. "It's either the log or the actual river."