Chapter 7 - Drowning In Blood

I bounced down the stairs in my black boots and red sweater as the morning light shined through the windows. I entered the living room and blinked at a sleeping Kylon that was surrounded by a bunch of open books. Footsteps sounded behind me as Avernus came to my side and looked at the mess.

"Does this always happen?" He asked, leaning towards me so he wouldn't wake Kylon up.

"Occasionally." I quietly tiptoed my way over to an open book and read the page. "It's a bunch of legends about demons."

"Maybe he's trying to help?"

"He's not supposed to." I closed the book a little too loudly and woke Kylon from his slumber.

"What's happening? Who died?" He asked startled.

"I'll make some coffee," I said and walked to the kitchen, whipped up some coffee and brought it to the living room on a platter. Kylon and Avernus were closing the books and stacking them, except for one. "I don't know how you like your coffee," I said as I handed one to Avernus who just took a sip and nodded.

"So, what's all this?" He motioned to the books with his right hand.

Kylon placed the coffee mug down and grabbed the book that hadn't been stacked. "I was up all night trying to figure out a way to send a demon back without using any rituals. I didn't get very far but I did find this," He flipped the pages quickly then slammed the book on the table. Avernus and I leaned over it as Kylon explained. "They call themselves 'sanguinem populum'. They're these people that in underground kingdoms almost, and they practice a lot of blood magic. This book says they have guided travelers in where they needed to go, so I thought that maybe they could help you in guiding you on where you need to go."

"And where do I need to go?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I don't know, but they can tell you!" He exclaimed.

"Have you been sniffing mushrooms again?"

Avernus moved the book closer to him and examined it. "Even if it is worth the shot, where would we find these people?"

"Well you see, when I came across the name I realized I had seen it somewhere. So I thought to myself 'hey, where could this be from?' And then realized that I read the name in one of the files at the coven that stated there is a tribe nearby!" Kylon smiled like he had just discovered the antidote to world hunger.

"This is crazy," I said and took Kylon's cup away from him. He doesn't need any more energy.

"So where would we need to go?" Avernus inquired.

"The book said there is always a tribe in the west — whatever that really means — and you will know you have found it when you stop in front a gigantic tree that gives off a wave of energy. For the entrance to their 'kingdom', you must give a drop of blood to the tree."

"Weren't we always taught to never do blood magic because it was too dangerous?"

"Desperate times, Adria."

Avernus sighed and looked between us. "Alright, well let's go find a tree."

"Actually, you two have to find the tree. I can't help remember, but I can eavesdrop on the coven and see if they have any ideas."

I rolled my eyes and turned to Avernus. "Well, Avernus, ready to get lost in the mysterious Forrest of Red River?"

"Apparently."

x

Avernus and I had been walking for hours, staring at his little pocket-sized compass to make sure we were actually going west. We had passed so many big trees that I thought were the one, but none of then radiated energy that screamed 'I'm the one!'