Chapter 29 - Epilogue

"I will mirror you when I can," I promised into our embrace, Rina's curls tickling my neck.

"You better." She gave me a tight squeeze and let go to hold my hands. "I wish I could stay but... I just..."

"I get it." I nodded in understanding. "I think we all need some time away from this place."

It's been a week since Rina was exorcised and Malphas was sent back to where he belonged. She was drained for the next couple of days and we convinced her dad she had just come down with the flu. But no matter how hard she tried to pretend things were normal, she knew things had changed.

We all did.

Now we're standing on a train station platform in the cold Wednesday air.

"If your mother or anything else try any bullshit just repeat my name while holding this." I placed a silver necklace into her open palm. "I managed to get Eleanor to enchant it."

"Thank you." She accepted through teary eyes. "God I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too." I choked, pulling her in for one last hug. The sound of a train alerted everyone else but us as we stayed in our bubble I wish we could live in forever. We pulled apart and looked in each other's eyes one last time as the train stopped behind me.

"Please stay safe." She begged, a single tear falling down her freckled cheek.

"You too." I smiled as Rina picked up her suitcase. She gave me a sad smile and walked towards the train entrance.

We promised each other we wouldn't say goodbye, but it hurt to keep the words down. I watched her through the windows as she found a seat and waved out at me. She held up her hand holding the silver chain and started whispering under her breath.

Then I heard the faint honey voice, "Adria Willows, Adria Willows."

I nodded my head up and down telling her I can hear her. The train slowly started moving as I stayed in place. Rina put her hand up to the window, watching me with sorrow as she left me on the platform.

Seeing her disappear made my throat burn as I couldn't hold it back anymore. "Goodbye," I whispered into the air, hoping it would magically carry itself to her.

Then there was nothing I could do.

Rina was gone.

A newspaper flew in the wind and landed at my feet. The headline gave me a small chuckle before I walked away from the rails, walking back home.

RED RIVER BLACKOUT AND ANIMALS GONE WILD

x

The fire crackled as we sat around the fireplace drinking hot chocolate. Rem was curled on the couch next to a pillow with Kylon next to him, while Avernus was sitting on the cream armchair and I was on the floor leaning on the matching couch.

"So," Kylon started, putting his cup on the side table. "Where are you two planning on going now?"

"Probably wandering the forest again." Rem shrugged.

"Why don't you stay with us?" I suggesting, looking to Kylon for confirmation. "We have spare bedrooms and I was thinking of getting a bean bag for my room that you could also sleep on!"

"I mean if you don't mind the company..."

"Of course," Kylon responded. "It's homier and welcoming here then the trees."

Rem's eyes lit up as he looked between us. "Thank you. Now I finally have some bodyguards." He gushed.

"Speaking of living here." Avernus cleared his throat. "I was thinking of sticking around in Red River for a bit, but if you think I'd be too much I can just stay in a motel."

"What do you mean you'll stay in a motel?" Kylon asked, almost offended. "I wouldn't go anywhere near those places. You and Rem could keep Adria company as she does... Whatever it is you're going to do now."

"I don't want to think about it." I sighed, taking a sip. "This is the most alive the house has been in years," I observed.

Knock knock.

"I'll get it," I said, standing up and placing my cup on the side table. I walked to the door and opened it to find a woman standing, looking around the yard. "Hello?"

She turned to me, her kind bronze eyes hitting mine. Her long hazelnut hair flowed down to her waist over her grey trench coat. She walked closer to me in her thigh-high boots, searching my face. "Adria Willows?"

"... Yes?" I squinted my eyes lightly.

"I've been sent to guide you."

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

Without hesitation, she answered, "Hecate."

I just stared at her, observing her. She didn't look like how I'd imagine a goddess to look. She just looked like she lived in the wealthy towns of Daleya. "You got my summoning." I assumed.

"No." She shut me down. "I don't respond to summonings anymore. I'm only here because I was sent by a higher being — The Dark Angel."

"Why would The Dark Angel send you to me?"

"I don't know, but he requested I gave you an answer." She said, her hand reaching out to touch my necklace. "Children are one of the greatest gifts in the world — especially when they have my gifts. Hestia once told me nothing could break a family apart if the bond was strong enough. She told me the bond grows strong over time as you watch and teach your child about life itself, and how to take care of themselves."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked as she let go of the necklace, rubbing the fingers that touched it together.

"You were left on your aunt and uncle's doorstep as a baby."

"Yeah, I was."

"The bond had barely grown enough, but children always feel it more than the parents. You're lost and confused about why they left you and where they went."

Why had The Dark Angel sent Hecate to talk to me about having a family bond? Was this some sort of thank you for returning Malphas?

"I know where they are."

My heart skipped a beat and I stilled. "What?" I couldn't have heard her right. Is any of this even happening? Did I fall into another realistic dream that is hard to get out of?

"I can tell by you're face that you think you're dreaming, but you're not." She gave me a small smile as she reassured me. "I'm here to tell you where your parents are."

x
C R E A T U R E S 
O F 
W I T C H E R Y