Chapter 1 - Season Of The Witch

My head hurts

My head hurts.

Although the sun was hidden by the clouds, it had somehow managed to shine its way through my window and into my sleepy eyes. The good thing about living in Red River is that there is hardly a day where the sun shines by itself. A gloomy town requires gloomy clouds.

The smell of pancakes made its way to my bedroom, making my hunger stand on edge. Man did I need food to help with my small hangover.

I lazily kicked my covers back and rolled my way out of my warm bed as a crow landed on my windowsill. It cawed and cawed at me from a distance, too scared to enter but not afraid to make a lot of noise.

"I will turn you into soup." I threatened the blackbird. It continued its conversation with itself as I changed clothes and left the room to follow the smell of fluffy goodness.

Kylon stood with his back towards me as he flipped a pancake onto a plate. His arms were about to burst out of his tight shirt — the shirt he refuses to throw away even though it clearly doesn't fit him anymore. His pure diamond blonde hair matched mine, except his was fluffy with little curls on the top of his head. We both had green eyes, but his were a nice lime green whilst mine were deep green. Kylon was three when I showed up on his parent's doorstep, but even though we're cousins, we've been raised as siblings. I couldn't imagine anyone else taking care of me other than him.

Besides, who else is supposed to cause trouble around here?

I made my way around the kitchen island to the stove and snatched a burning hot cake.

"I figured you would have been down here the moment I turned the stove on." Kylon teased.

"And I figure you would have burnt the house down by now." I shot back.

He chuckled and filled the pan with another spoonful of batter, "So, how do you feel now that you've been nineteen for an official twenty-four hours?"

"Exiting, painful and boring all at the same time."

"Well, you did hit your head pretty hard on the dining room table last night."

"Please never let me do that again. I can feel the dull pain in the back of my brain." I held the back of my head with one hand and sneaked another pancake into my mouth with the other.

"Do you want me to make some feverfew tea?" He offered.

"I don't want to sip on flowers all morning. I'll be fine, but if I don't come home before dark know I'm in an alleyway passed out." I grinned sarcastically as I walked out of the kitchen to put on my Keds. "I'm going to Rina's so I'll be back whenever I'm back!"

Kylon yelled a response I didn't hear as I closed the front door behind me, getting greeted by a chill immediately. We never really got a summer or any other season besides winter. It's just cold all year round until winter decides to rain snow on us.