Chapter 42

Today is the day of the home coming dance.

And I am going together with John of course.

I love dances like the home coming one. You have a reason to buy expensive new clothes and make up to dress up. You do the best to look as pretty as possible and so on.

Dances are just magical events. You always feel like you are not on earth anymore because it is always a bit miraculous.

I bought a dark purple ball gown which is shoulder free and has a really big and puffy skirt. I love it!

I have already straightened my hair.

At the moment I am finishing my look with a kind of decent smoky eyes and a shiny transparent lip gloss.

Finished!

It is time to go!

I am standing in front of our gym waiting for John. And there he comes. He is wearing a black elegant suit. He looks amazing! If I haven’t fallen in love with him already I would now.

“Hi sweetheart!” He kisses me on my left cheek, then on my right one and finally on my mouth.

“Want to go inside?” We are heading towards the door. Inside there is loud music playing. At one end of the gym you can get drinks at the other end you can vote for the home coming queen and kind and you can take pictures in front of a plain background as well.

John is bowing in front of me and holding his right hand in front of me.

“Miss, would you like to dance?” He asks me in a posh way.

“Yes!” I am grabbing his hand and pulling him on the dance floor.

An hour later the music suddenly stops and I am kind of glad because my feet already hurt like hell.

“It is time to announce this year’s home coming queen and king.” Mr Miller is saying into a microphone. He stands next to the music station.

“But first I want to thank you all for this wonderful year we had together.” Everyone is cheering after these words.

“So let’s see who the queen and kind are this year.” He always makes it that exciting by talking and talking before he actually announces the queen and king.

“I will start with the king this year because I can’t remember we ever did that before. I think we always started with the queen, didn’t we? So this year’s home coming king is... John Scott! Congratulations!” John makes his way to the front after kissing me to get his crown.

“And this year’s home coming queen is...” Please not Cecelia, please! “...Anny Foster! Congratulations!” Oh my god! I am the queen! Cecelia has always been the queen, really every year again and now it is me!

Mr Miller gently puts my crown on my head.

I am looking at John and he looks at me. Then we kiss. The most magical kiss I have ever gotten.

‘Being popular’: tick!

But in this moment I realise that I have got nothing apart from a boyfriend and followers.

No real friends! And that is what life is about!

~

“Tomorrow will be different if we change everything today.”