12. The Return of The King

There’s a Rebel in my Bed!

                     Chapter 12 – The Return of the King (Fall debut)

          Song of the Chapter: Call me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen (2011)

Welcome me back heartily by VOTING (110) and COMMENTING (50)

“I’m so lost right now I have no friends, my sister hates me, school is starting again and I’m talking to a box of Captain Crunch. What is my life right now.”

I groaned and smacked my head against the cold, hard kitchen counter.

“Don’t do that.” I lifted my head. Mom had entered the kitchen, ready for work and smiling lightly at me from the door. “You’re going to give yourself a concussion.”

I snorted, “God isn't that nice to me.”

She rolled her eyes and sat in front of me, picked up the box of cereal and poured some  into a bowl. “Things could be worse, you know.”

Both of my eyebrows shot up, “Really? Losing your best friend, your sister, your father all in a space of three months isn't the worst it can get?”

She blinked through her thought, before shrugging, “Point taken.”

I sighed, “Plus school starts today…” I looked at her with soft eyes. She took a secodn to  blink before she caught the message and gave me a motherly look.

“No. You are going to school.”

“Bu-”

“No buts, mister. You are not running way from your problems.”

I sighed and accepted my grim fate, resting my head on the table – just listening to Mom chew her cereal. Strangely, it was sort of soothing.

The kitchen door creaked to an open again and Igot up from my slouching position.

“Good Morning.” Evelyn mumbled, coming in fully dressed for school and with her headphones in her ears; though, I couldn’t hear any music playing whatsoever.

“Morning.”

She stopped at the sound of my voice and looked over, “I was meaning mom,” she mumbled before sitting next to her, “You can choke.”

Nice.” I mumbled and dropped my head against the counter again.

“Evelyn.” Mom scolded, “That’s no way to talk to your brother.”

She snorted, “Considering what just happened a few days ago, at least I’m still speaking to him.”

Mom sighed loudly, “You two better work this out.” Mom’s chair screeched as she pulled out. “And young lady, you aren’t out of the woods yet. Me and you and going to have a serious talk about unprotected sexual intercourse when I get back tomorrow morning.” I heard keys, “And Evan,” I sighed and slowly raised my head. Mom smiled lightly, “It’s going to get better.”

I smiled back and nodded stiffly. I wanted to believe that but knowing my luck, things were going to get far worse before they got any better.

Mom turned and exited the kitchen and left for work. The atmosphere in the kitchen wasn’t awkward but it wasn’t exactly Brady either. Evelyn decided to ignore my presence, as she has for the past couple of days.