9. No Rest for The Wicked

There’s a Rebel in My Bed! 

                                  Chapter 9 –No Rest for The Wicked   

               Song of the Chapter: You Outta Know by Alanis Morrisette (1995)  

Not everyone is walking away from this chapter alive.

“How dare he! He had no right to reveal that kind of information! Information that quite frankly is false and utter nonsense!”

“Sheesh calm down killer,” Bobby commented, “It’s not like he implicated you in a murder.”

“Yeah,” Kimmy added, seated on the edge of my bed. “Besides your mom probably didn’t believe it anyway.”

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms across my chest. Mom’s face was beyond livid. “She believed it.” I sighed. My hands fell at my sides with a thud. “And so did two hundred plus others.”

“Who is this guy anyway?” Chris, who had been searching aimlessly through my drawers asked, still preoccupied with whatever in the one he as looking through now.

“Kasper Cruz and he’s a friend of mine.”

“First he fights with Jacob in front of your mom and now this? Interesting friends you’ve got.” Bobby snorted.  

I sighed incredibly loudly out of well earned frustration. “We had a bit of a falling out since the last time we talked.”

“About…?” Kimmy dragged with a look of interest swimming in her blue eyes.

I hesitated to tell them anything else. I didn’t want them to get hurt or worse because they knew too much.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, creeping over to the window. Outside, I could see tents being wrought and people gathering and chatting with one another. it seemed as if the entire blacked had somehow congregated to our front lawn. Strange since I highly doubt any of them professionally let alone personally knew my father.

“Who has a damn party to celebrate someone’s death?” I scolded, peering out of the window, staring harshly at the happy faces and laughter.

“People who decide that it’s better to celebrate life rather than mourn death.” Bobby answered meekly.

I scoffed lightly turning around to face the others, leaning gently on the window’s sill with my elbows, “I highly doubt he’s the center of their conversation.”

“Yeah. They’re probably talking about how much more money than can pry from us poor folks hands.”

“Kimmy, you live in a gated community.” Chris snorted, coming closer to me.

“Your point?” she retorted.

“Shut it.” Bobby shot back only to get playfully smacked in the back of the head by the only female in the room.

That made me wonder, “Chris, where’s Evelyn?”

He shrugged his shoulders lightly. “She’s with your mom last time I checked. She was really torn when they buried Mark.” He said solemnly.

I nodded silently, moving a little closer to him. I felt a huge wave of guilt. It was bad enough Ev was hiding the pregnancy thing but the fact that I was – someone who he trusts was the height of betrayal.