25. All Hell Breaks Loose Part 2/2

There’s A Rebel In My Bed

                 Chapter 25 - All Hell Breaks Losse Part 2/2

“Your mother is pregnant.”

“I’m sorry?”

Dr. Connor – as his name tag read in bold black letters, right above his pocket – blinked. “Your mother is about five months pregnant.”

“That’s…impossible,” I mumbled. I looked over at Evelyn. Her eyes were blankly staring passed the doctor’s head and into the room where we could barely see through the cracked door. Mom was sleeping on a bed with tubes sticking out various parts of her body. My stomach turned on itself.

 I could see a few of the things Ev had brought back with her on her drive back home. The glass rose vase Mom had in the living room. The bulletproof vest that dad gave to her for one of their anniversaries. She was into hunting. None of the rest of us was, but he bought her a navy blue one. I was always so puzzled by it. I mean, the animals weren’t shooting back at her. But she loved it. And kept it hanging over their bed.

“She is,” the doctor said, stopping my more pleasant thoughts, “and she’s obviously been under a lot of stress and this was her body’s way of telling her to slow it down before she loses her baby.”

He eyed the both of us, and then the empty space beside us. “Where’s your father?”

I looked at Ev. She looked at me and snorted. I turned back to the doctor. “He passed away last year.”

“Oh,” he said. His lips went into a small frown. “Is there…another man we could call?” he asked. “How long has it been since your father passed?”

“Not that long. It would still make sense if it’s my Dad’s baby, seeing as he passed in November and it’s only the end of February. She hasn’t mentioned anything about a boyfriend or whatever.”

“Okay…” he said, hesitantly. “I still want to run a few blood tests on your mom, and she is going to have to spend the night. If you want, I could arrange for the both of you to stay in her room with her.”

Ev nodded pretty quickly. She still hadn’t spoken since we got here, and I was really starting to worry that she had cracked.

The doctor nodded. I couldn't remember his name for the life of me, even though his tag was staring me in the face.

He left and went back into the room. We were not allowed in until they figured that my mom was presentable enough for her teenage children to see her.

At this point, I felt that nothing could make me crumble. I felt rather numb at the moment. And it was just a combination of so many things that just made me feel sedated.

Ev was heaving heavy sighs. Of what, I didn’t know. I rested a hand on her shoulder and tugged her closer to me. “You okay, Ev?”

She dumped one more weighted sigh. “Yeah. Yeah. I guess mom being…pregnant with Dad’s kid is a bit better than her dying.”

I snorted. “I kind of agree. I don’t think I need another asshole-y sibling to deal with.”

She nudged me. “I think I’m going to sit down for a while,” she told me.