10. Clocks

There’s a Rebel in My Bed!

                                                    Chapter 10 – Clocks

                                    Song of the Chapter: I Hurt Too by Katie Herzig

Please Vote (90) and Comment (45)

Late but Great. Enjoy. I’ll direct you when to play the music.

I shot up.

I was breathing heavily, sweating and the only thing I could hear was the erratic beeping of the monitor that sat beside me. I raised my hands slowly and shakily before breathing a sigh of relief.

I wasn’t burned or bruised but my neck felt like someone had snapped it and my back ached mercilessly.

By that time I was able to focus again and the all too familiar scent of used syringes and medicine plagued the dark and silent little room that was only so big to host the bed, the monitor and a small muted television opposite me with a female news reporter on screen and the captions ‘SENATOR DEAD IN EXPLOSION – POLICE SAY POSSIBLE ASSASINATION’

I sighed heavily, closing my eyes and rubbing them gently. I didn’t know what to make of this situation. There was no way a car could combust randomly. It had to be someone but what was unclear is if that explosion was meant for me or the dead senator.

And if it were for me…who did it? Miko may be hell bent on revenge but I knew him dearly - he couldn’t hurt an ant. Then again, some of the things he said were unlike him as well.

I heard voices on the other side of the door – muffled and deep. Not long after the knob spun slowly and it opened.

A man dressed in a white coat that you’d expect a doctor to wear walked in. staring down at a clipboard in his hands, mumbling incoherent words.

 Cleared my throat, gaining his attention. Raising an eyebrow, I folded my arms across my chest being careful not to unattached the IV drip that was in my wrist.

“Oh, Hi Evan. How are you feeling today?”

I titled my head. “Today?” I asked a little surprised. How long was I out?

He stared at me for a second before chuckling lightly. “You were out for quite some time, Evan.”

“How long is some time, doctor?” I retorted.

He looked rather surprised at my snarky comeback but didn’t comment on it. “Two days.”

I growled underneath my breath and rested myself back down onto the uncomfortably hard bed.

“Your mom was here earlier this morning along with a couple of friends and family. I told them to come back tomorrow morning but one of them waited behind…a young man. He seemed deeply concerned.”

It had to be Jacob. “What did he look like?”

He stopped what he was doing for a second and seemed to go deep in thought. “I didn’t really get a good look at him. Your things are in the top drawer in the corner - you'll find pain meds in there. take two if you have any migraines or back pains."

I grunted and sat back up. “Did anyone else get hurt besides me and the senator?”

If I remember correctly, both me and Jacob’s dad were blasted away from the car.