20. Abandon All Hope

There’s a Rebel in My Bed!

                                          Chapter 20 – Abandon All Hope

     Song of the Chapter: Say Something by A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera (2013)

Pretty long chapter here, so get your coffee and anxiety pills because a lot happens in this. Editing as I read along.

“Why don’t you play him some Hip Hop. I suggest Tupac.” Chris said, smiling as he sat on my bed; bouncing up and down slightly as he watched my test clothing choices.

“He’s not into Hip Hop.” I responded.

He heaved a dramatic sigh. Hands on chest and all. “A white boy from the suburbs with a rich family backing doesn’t like gangster rap?” he questioned, his voice rising after every word in both volume and disbelieve. "Try How To Love by Lil Wane. I'm sure he'll like it."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, I''ll try."

“He’s not by any of his friends’ house.”

“Are you sure?”

“He’s not there.” She reiterated, more annoyed this time. “I called almost everyone I knew he has been associated with that isn’t name Kimmy or Bobby. No one has seen him for the past couple of hours.”

“Damn it.” I mumbled into the telephone’s receiver.

There was a moment of palpable static and silent breathing on the other end after my response. “Evan…?” Evelyn asked on the other line; voice low, and drowsy with sleep; it must’ve been at least 11 now, “why am I calling Chris’ friends at the late hours of the night? Why are you looking for Chris at this hour, why haven’t you checked his house and where the hell are you?” she asked one right after the other and I wasn’t sure in what sequence I should answer, “You know mom checks on us at night now.”

I sighed. “It’s complicated.” I allowed an extra lengthy second to float by before I spoke again. “I need you to-”

No.” she shot, awake enough to shoot me out of the sky before I could even finish my sentence, “I am not covering for you.”

“Oh, come on, Ev.” I groaned, combing my free hand through my hair. “Just this one time.”

Evan.”

“If she presses, you can tell her the truth.”

Another moment of silence. I could practically hear the wheels turning in her head on the other side of the line. “…Fine.” She finally answered and I allowed myself to take in a big breath of what air was left to breathe. “If she presses, I tell her that you’re out looking for a friend.”

“Okay.”

“Is…something wrong with Chris?” she asked and there was a concerned tone behind it. I almost forgot that they dated for a while there.

“He’s fine.” I lied; there was no need to drag her into this. If Chris’ unknown where-a-bouts were anything to go by, dragging family and friends into this was the worst thing to do. “I’ll call back later.”