24. Goodbye

There’s a Rebel In My Bed!

                              Chapter 24 – Goodbye

           Say Something – A Great Big World (w/o Christina A.)

“I’ve been here before,” I murmured to Jacob.

He looked up from his sneakers, just barely enough for me to remember what the color of his eyes were. Blue.

Very blue.

Once shiny, now vacant blue.

“I know,” he whispered back.

He was standing across from me in the hall outside of the room in which my Mom stayed. There were people running in and out with gloves and masks, not one stopping to explain to me what was going on.

Evelyn was so much a mess that I asked Kasper to take her out for fresh air. It was odd that I did, but I couldn't do it myself. I was scared I’d just start crying too.

Which I hadn’t done. Yet.

“These lights are so bright,” Jacob mumbled. He kicked some invisible dirt in front of him. I noticed he was wearing the jeans I had picked out for him when we went shopping together in January. He didn’t like dark jeans, but I told him that they made his butt look edible.

“God enough for you to try something different in bed, tonight,” he replied with a wink.

“Good enough for me to try it right now,” I responded.

He laughed and leaned up against the wall in the new pants, tag still attached. “I’m thinking an old movie tonight,” he said. “I mean, I know you tell me that you were into artsy things in junior high and I really want to reawaken that part of you.”

My lips stayed in a straight line. I was almost afraid to smile at him. “You want to get to know me better?” I asked.

He looked down and tried to chuckle, but only hot air and nerves came out. “Yeah, I mean, we’ve been dating for a while and I don’t think I feel like we don’t know each other that well.”

I nodded. Hesitantly. “You sure you want to?” I asked, slightly chuckling, slightly a nervous wreck. “My life is pretty messed up, considering all that has happened.”

Jacob ran a hand through his blonde hair, that was obviously bleached but I never brought it up. He looked at me, but kept his head toward his sneakers, “I don’t really care about your past stuff, Evan. I really don’t.”

“I believe you.”

“I’m sorry about your mom,” Jacob mumbled. His head and eyes were back toward his shoes, as if they were the most fascinating thing in the world. “I am, really.”

“I believe you,” I responded with just as little a voice as he did.

The light above us flickered. It made me cover my eyes as did so, and once it flickered back to life, I noticed just how bright and white the corridor was. And empty.

Jacob and I were the only two not in white walking through it.

He was in a red plaid shirt and dark jeans and I was in a suit, minus the coat. He looked tired. I felt tired.