21. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

There’s a Rebel In My Bed!

                   Chapter 21 – Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

               Song of The Chapter: Raindrops by Regina Spektor

“So, do you want the Pineapple pizza or the meatball?”

“You know what I can’t understand?”

Kasper was frowning; holding either slice of pizza in his hands by the door. “What’s that?”

“Why would Tank want to break me and Jacob up?” I asked from the bed with a book in front of me; a book that I have been using to try and document all of Tank’s moves so I can at least try and counter the next one; but they are all so unconnected and seem so sporadic that it’s hard to. He’s a wild man concealed in Armani. “He wants me to get his money, suggests that I get it from Jacob, then he breaks us up.” I huffed. “I mean, does he not want the money?”

Kasper sighed and drifted over slowly, sinking the bed down when he sat on the cliff of it. “That obviously wasn’t the plan. But, when I dumped him for a more handsome fella, he got angry. He got angry and made a move out of spite instead of using his head.” He explained and I prayed to God ‘dumped’ was just an expression. “And that’s a good thing.”

I gaped. “You think Jacob dumping me is a good thing?”

He nodded with a subtle smile, but once my gape turned into hyper-exasperation, he shook his head, trying to (and failing with shooting stars) to hide his amusement. “Tank and I have a complicated history, Evan. He took me off the streets when my parent’s kicked me out; he fed and clothed me; I wasn’t just his right hand, and he wasn’t just my boss; we were brothers. When I chose you, that hurt him and he acted off of emotion instead of strategy.”

“What does all that mean?”

“Well,” he said, “Tank has been ahead of you the most of this; always one step ahead, why? It’s because he’s a master at psychological manipulation. If we want to stay ahead of him, we’ve got to do the same.”

I nodded, but then cocked my head in confusion. “You still haven’t told me why Jacob breaking up with me is a good thing?”

He stared for a moment, amusing glint still swimming in the clear, blue waters of his eyes. He opened his mouth, but closed it again. Then he picked up the two pizzas, “Pineapple or meatball?”

“I don’t want Pizza right now, K.” I huffed. “I want my boyfriend back.” I mumbled, eyes diverting to the bed spread to avoid the look that might have been accumulating in his eyes. “Did…you talk to him yet?

“Who, Hollister and his side-kick Abercrombie?”

“Yes,” I answered, rolling my eyes, “Jacob and Alex.”

“Not yet.” He said, taking a bite of the meatball pizza and then hovering it next to my mouth; I went to take a bite but he pulled it back, causing me to fall forward and crash into his shoulder. “Shit,” he winced, “your forehead is as hard as a rock.”

“Beside the point, K!” I shouted, not angrily, but loudly so he could refocus. I pushed myself off of him and he pouted.

“I kind of liked you that close to me.” He snickered. “Maybe I should trick you more often.” He added with a coy wink.

I faked a dry-heave and it was his turned to roll his eyes. “So that’s why you haven’t talk to him yet?” I said, and his eyes dimmed with confusion as he went to take a bite of the pineapple pizza this time. “You’re trying to make a move on me?”