Words I Thought I'd Never Speak...

A week had passed and I was back in the care home.

Despite the fact that it was only a month until my eighteenth birthday, they insisted on keeping me here as long as social services would allow due to my lack of a stable home.

"Scarlett? Dinner's ready." Karen; my social worker, called through my door.

"I'm not hungry." I mumbled.

I heard Karen sigh, deeply. "Honey you have to eat. You've barely eaten anything since you arrived."

"Because I'm not hungry." I snapped.

She sighed again before I heard footsteps moving away from my bedroom door.

~~~~

I woke up to my alarm and instantly went to the bathroom, feeling a wave of nausea hit me like a train.

I threw up, cleaned my teeth and got dressed.

I wore black skinny jeans and a leather jacket over my school blazer, shirt and tie. I then put on my plain Docs. My eyeliner was full and thick and my hair was teased.

I put everything I needed in my bag except my phone which was in my jacket pocket and left the care home for school.

Truth was, I've been throwing up pretty much every morning for the past week and it was starting to scare me.

~~~~

I was sat in English feeling like death warmed up when Mikey asked to speak to me.

He lead me outside the classroom and folded his arms over his chest.

"So? How's things?" He asked.

"Really? You stopped my work just to start small talk?" I snapped.

Mikey widened his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I was just wondering if you were ok. You've been through a lot." He replied.

I sighed heavily and nodded, rubbing my right browbone with my middle finger.

"No... I'm sorry. My mind's been other places recently."

Mikey raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

I sighed again and groaned.

"I..." I started, not finding the will power to let the words out. "I might need a pregnancy test..."

I kept my voice low so that no one would hear.

Mikey's eyes widened once more.

"What?" He asked, just to be sure he'd heard me right.

"For the past week or so, I've been throwing up almost every morning, I'm late and it's really starting to scare the shit out of me." I mumbled.

"Maybe it's the stress of everything?" Mikey suggested.

I sighed.

"I think i'd rather that."

Mikey shuffled a little and looked around.

"I'm not teaching next hour. So I'll go out and get you a pregnancy test. Ok?" He suggested.

I nodded.

"Thank you Mikey. You're the best." I smiled and hugged him round the waist.

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know. Now get your butt back to work."

He ruffled my hair, earning a glare from me and playfully nudged me toward the classroom door.

I sat back at my seat and carried on with my work until the bell went for next class.

~~~~

I went to science and was helping Mr Iero with our experiment when about half way through the class, there was a knock at the door.

It was Mikey.

"Hi Mr Iero, would you mind if I stole Scarlett for a sec?" He asked the teacher, pointing at me.

Mr Iero nodded. "Sure. I'll finish the experiment Scarlett. You take as long as you need."

I smiled at my science teacher and nodded.

I left the classroom with Mikey and went to a quiet area.

"Here." He said, handing me a blue and white box.

I read the writing on the box.

'Pregnancy test. Results in 2 minutes. Over 99% accurate.'

"Thanks Mikey." I sighed. "You didn't have to do this for me."

"I know. But I want to." He smiled, rubbing my upper arm.

"Thank you." I whispered, not being able to contain the spontanious tears pricking in my eyes.

"Hey." Mikey mumbled, pulling me into his embrace.

I hugged his waist as tight as I could, never wanting to let go.

"Do you want to do it now?" He asked.

I thought about it for a moment before nodding.

"Ok." He said, pulling away from me.

We went to the nearest girl's restroom where Mikey waited by the door until I came back out.

I did what I had to do and waited out the longest two minutes of my life.

~~~~

"Well?" Mikey asked as I came out of the restroom.

I simply nodded.

"I'm pregnant."