Too Close...

'Fuck!' I mouthed.

Gerard looked horrified.

I hid under the table and sorted out my clothes as Gerard did.

He got up and smiled to the Principal.

"Yes Leonard? Sorry, dropped my pen. Have no idea where it went though." Gerard sighed, scratching his head in thought.

"That's quite alright, Gerard. I just came to ask how Scarlett was getting on in your classes, her grades seem to be the best I've seen in your class." The Principal or... Leonard, replied.

Gerard shuffled uncomfortably a little.

"She's doing amazingly well actually. She does a lot of art in her spare time so, to be honest, I'm not surprised she's doing so well."

"Ah, I see. And how is she settling in at home?" He asked.

"Yeah. She's settled in great. Drank me out of coffee, but ya know. Teenagers." Gerard chuckled.

There was a short silence.

"Of course. Well I guess I'll leave you to it. Marking I'm guessing?" He asked.

Gerard nodded.

"Ok. Just don't work too hard." Leonard laughed and tapped the desk a couple of times before leaving the room.

Gerard took the deepest sigh of his life and crumpled to the floor.

"That was way too close." He breathed.

"I know..." I panted.

We waited it out for a few minutes before I left the classroom and waited by the car for Gerard to finish up in his classroom.

When he came out his face was whiter than usual.

"You ok Gee?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He just nodded and unlocked the car, getting into the driver's side.

The ride home was silent.

It scared me immensley...

We got home and Gerard went straight upstairs, locking himself in the bedroom.

"Gee?" I asked, knocking lightly on the door after he'd been in there for twenty minutes.

No reply...

"Gee please... Open the door," I pleaded.

After a few seconds, the lock on the door clicked, letting me know that Gerard had unlocked it.

I opened it to see Gerard sitting with his head between is knees, leaning against the wall behind the door.

"Gerard, what's the matter?" I asked.

He sighed and lifted his head,

"That was way too close back there. I'm... I'm not sure if I can do this anymore Scarlett..." He mumbled.

My heart froze.

"W-what?" I stammered.

"I'm saying that what happened earlier was way too close. We could have been caught if the Principal came in even a few seconds earlier." Gerard elaborated. "I think... I think we should go back to being teacher and student."

I tried to refuse the tears that were threatening to pour, but I couldn't for long and when they fell, they fell badly.

"But... I love you." I whispered.

Gerard's eyes shot to my face and all I saw in them was pain.

"I love you too." He said. "But this is too much."