Chapter 21

A Couple Years Later...

John's POV

Today Scarlett turns 5. I just can't believe that our little baby is growing up. I may not have been there for the first year or so, but I'm here now. And I'm here to watch her grow up. She's my little baby girl. I just hate seeing her grow up...

I woke up to the sound of sniffling, almost like crying.

I turned over on my side to see Katy looking at old pictures of Scarlett.

"Oh John. I don't know if I can do this." She whimpered.

"Katy. Of course you can." I replied as I pulled her in for a hug.

"Shhhhhh it will be okay. Just don't cry. You're going to make me cry."

"John how can I not cry? She's growing up."

"I know Kate. But, everyone grows up. You grew up, I grew up. Imagine how our parents must've felt? Everyone grows up. It's a normal thing."

"I know that. But honestly, where has time gone? I remember laying down in the hospital bed, holding a little baby girl in my arms. I just miss her being that little."

"Honey. Scarlett is still that tiny baby girl you were holding. But she's just grown up a little. She'll always be our baby girl. Nothing can change that."

She cried more into my shoulder.

I hate seeing her upset.

I just want everything to be okay.

Katy hasn't been this emotional in a long time.

I hope everything is okay.

I think it's just because Scarlett is our only child, and she misses someone being little.

"You okay?" I whispered.

"Yeah." She said as she pulled away.

I looked into her eyes and gave her a light kiss.

"I love you...okay?"

"I know." She replied as she looked down at the pictures.

"Ha remember the day she started walking?" I said as I pointed at the picture.

"Yeah." She whispered.

"Oh and the day she sat in the lucky charms."

We both laughed cuddled for what seemed like hours. I could tell Katy was upset.

"Don't be upset. Trust me Hun."

"Fine. I'm just a little emotional."

"Okay. Well we should wake Scarlett up now."

We both got out of bed and walked down to Scarlett's bedroom.

We slowly opened the door to see her sleeping peacefully in her bed.

KATYS POV

John tip toed over to her bed and kneeled down.

"Wake up sweetie. It's your birthday!" He whispered.

She opened one eye and then the other.

Her eyes went wide when she saw John. John hasn't been living with us lately. He's been really busy with work and his tour.

"Daddy!" She screeched as she shot her body up and jumped into John's arms.

"Aw Scarlett." He said as he cuddled her.

"You're back!"

"Yes baby. I am."

"I missed you!"