24th January, 1668

I awoke to a ray of sunlight set upon my eyes. It took them a moment to adjust before I realized Oliver had not returned. A feeling of uneasiness developed in my stomach as I could only but fear for what had become of him. Legends of undomesticated creatures lurked in the wood, bandits with the thirst of blood and gold, and even nature itself filled with poisons that first act upon the skin than heart, echoed throughout these parts. I made my way from underneath the tree and onto his horse that wore only the blanket for my comfort. Within the day, I arrived back at the castle to find it as I had left it. The King was rambling about pirates and thieves but my mind just wondered to Oliver. Since I made his acquaintance, he had been the only thing occupying my mind.

        As night fell, I heard screams deep in the stone. First I thought it to be imagination; a mustered up explanation for his disappearance. Then I realized it to be all too real for the screams would not cease even after herbal influence.

        As I had nights before, I followed the screams to find it originate from the dungeon. The prisoners wore chains around their ankles that kept them from banging on the doors I presume. Only two torches were lit out of the many that could have illuminated a path. The shrieks ceased as I made my way further and further down the darkened corridor. When I made it to the end, there were a small section of bars to see through the door. My curiosity and my morality battled for a moment before my curiosity was the victor. My eyes peered through the darkness and to a long table light by a man holding a torch. It took me a moment to realize the room was not one of kind reason, chains apex with spikes hung from the walls as well as dried blood on the walls surrounding. The table I had seen was that called a rack-used for those to outstretch a person for torture. One of three men came close enough to the door that I could smell his unwashed skin, it made me retch but I silenced myself quickly fore my own protection. Another man spun a wheel that tightened the ropes on the poor man's legs and caused him to scream. The nature of this exercise made me so incredibly ill and yet I was unable to look away. The man strapped down was a supposed thief, but what could he have possibly stolen to be tortured in this way.

        I made my way back to my chambers and asked myself this, as well as other questions that always came back to the present location of Oliver. Even a tortured man could not waver my thoughts from him. As I did every night, I went to my balcony and looked onto the water. This night, the stars mirrored on the water giving an incredible sight-one I was unable to tear myself from. I found comfort in its beauty; in its calmness. Yet, my heart ached as well my lips. Tears made their way out of my eyes against my attempts. Again, I fell asleep with my eyes sodden from things I did not know...