Chapter 40

Chapter 40

"Zmrazit mmadụ nile ka a akpụrụ akpụ." As I said the words more and more, I realised that I sound more confident each time. The spell was working because as I stared at Ace, he was slowly being frozen like a statue. I gripped the heavy book tightly in my hands.

I kept on repeating the spell. I closed the book because I am no longer reading from it. I repeated the words without even thinking, it came out atomically, like a machine. I said the words faster, hoping that will help speed up the pace of the spell. I walked closer to Ace, who had stopped blinking.

My heartbeat increases as I realised that I am all alone in this golden room. A chill passed through me as I think of all the things that could happen to me. I clenched my jaw when I think of the Forte brothers. Since I learned about the Forte brothers I wondered what the Forte brothers look like.

I gasped in shock as I suddenly I felt a sharp pain go through my right chest. I stopped saying the spell as I feel the pain increases. I clenched my hands that are wrapped around the book tightly. My chest burned as if it was on fire.

 I breathed in deeply, trying to ease the pain that is slowly spreading across my body. The old spell book I was holding slips out of my hands as numb feeling washes over my hands and legs. I collapsed onto the golden floor as my legs give out.

"Arielle." I heard Ace's hoarse voice say.

I turned my head to where Ace was. He blinked his eyes slowly, the spell slowly fading away. Slowly Ace started to move his body again; he stretched his hands and legs for a few seconds.  He turned his head toward me, then his eyes went wide when he saw me on the floor.

He rushed over to my side. His hands flew over to entwine them with. He squeezed my hand gently, trying to soothe me. A small smile spread on my face at his caring nature. For a second I felt the pain go away, I felt all my thoughts fly out of my head as I stared into the bloodshot eyes I had grown so used to. His eyes were filled with worry and finally he opened his mouth to ask me the question that I know he had been wanting to know.

"What happened?" Ace's eyebrows were furrowed together in confusion as he stared at me.

"I was saying the spell then suddenly I felt this pain go through the right side of my chest. Then my hands and legs become numb." I stopped as a sob escaped through my body from the pain.

Ace pressed his eyes together in pain and then reopened them. I took deep breaths, trying to regulate my speeding heart.

"You are going to be okay, I promise. Here lay down on my chest." He moved my head so that I am using his chest as a pillow. "Try to fall asleep. I know it is hard with the pain but just try."

"What is happening to me?" I asked, demanding to know an answer.

"Sleep Arielle," Ace's voice was soft and gentle making me close my wet eyes. I tried to think of something positive, but I can't. I thought of everything that had happened over the past eleven months.

I tried to think of a special moment I had in those months. Most of those months were spent with me being with the witches that faked being my parents, but the rest of them were filled with me with Ace.

I snuggled more into Ace's chest, my head was pounding hard from all the thinking. I repeated each and every moment I had with Ace, finally after what feels like hours I remembered one memory. It was when I was in the hospital after the witches had beaten me up. It was when Ace opened up to me for the first time since I had met him.

"Tell me more about you," I asked. I leaned back onto the bed that was made upright. I stared at Ace who was sitting in a chair beside my single bed. He turned his head, his eyes lose focus.