Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Best Friends are siblings God forgot to make

"Okay okay, jeez this is what like the third time someone's told me get away from Arie," Esme said with her arms raised high, slowly backing away until she was a couple of centimeters away from the bed.

"Esme, what are you doing here?" Ace asked, coming into my room and sitting next to me on my bed. Just being beside him I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to kiss those wonderful red lips. I stared at him from the bed inspecting everything I could see in this view. I saw sweat pouring down his neck telling me he had been running. I also saw a black mark- more like a line going down but it disappeared into his black shirt. I wonder if he has a tat--

"I should be asking you the same thing," Esme said breaking me out of my never ending thoughts.

"You shouldn't talk to people higher up like that," Ace threats growling, "especially after what I walked in on"

"Someone's met his mate," Esme said. When Esme said the word mate I got an involuntary shiver through my whole body. I didn't know what a 'mate' was and I don't remember Ace saying anything about a 'mate'.

"What's a mate?" I asked breaking the glaring contest between Esme and Ace. They both snapped their heads to me staring at me silently not saying a single word.

"Well," I said when I realized none of them were going to answer for a while. They both stared at each other panic on both their faces but it was quickly gone.

Taking a deep Ace started to say, "You know when I said that you will learn more things as time goes on well this is one of the moments when I am going to tell you something so please let us explain fully before you go all ballistic. Okay?"

"Okay," I said slowly not knowing what could be so bad about this word.

"A mate is a shorter version for a soul mate. Each supernatural has a mate. The moment you set eyes on them you can't let them go. If ever their mate dies for an unknown reason then they too die, depressed that finally leads to suicide or they go rogue and kill innocent people," Ace says staring at me directly in my eyes.

"Mates are gifts from the moon goddess. They are the most precious things in the world. From the moment you set eyes on them you fall in love with them and you can never let them go, unlike some people," Esme adds making Ace stand up and glare a fiercely at her.

Suddenly the air is filled with unwanted tension. The only sound you could hear was of my fingers connecting with a metal part of the bed. I looked around the room trying to find a distraction, anything to break the tension that kept on building every minute. Of course, there was nothing so I moved onto my second plan which was hoping that one of them says something, anything that could break the tense situation. After a few seconds still, no one had spoken I moved onto my third plan which was to pray to god that someone comes into the room to break the tension.

Unlucky for me no one came through. I knew that the sound of the metal sounds from my finger connecting to the metal was just making the situation worse so I stopped. I was never good at keeping still especially when I was in an extreme situation. This situation wasn't helping one bit. Before I could think of anything else to do Ace spoke up.

"You should know how it feels like to be let go. I mean if I remember clearly your mate rejected you the moment he said his eyes on you."

"You you- how could you?" she said tears forming in her eyes. Before she ran speedly out the door I catch a glimpse of her tear stricken face and knew that what Ace had hurt her very badly.

"What did you mean by rejected?" I asked very curiously to what it meant.

"It's nothing you need to know about," he said with a distant look in his eyes.

"Don't you dare say it's nothing you need to know about because my best friend just ran out the door and it had something with the word rejected. I know it."

"Some supernatural don't like or don't want mates. The thing that you should be able to choose who you live with for the rest of your life. They don't believe in mates. These people refuse their mate by rejecting them."

"Wow. Does it hurt?" I asked suddenly very peculiar about the subject.

"What hurts?"

"When you get rejected does it hurt?" I asked.

"Many who have been rejected say it hurts like hell but I don't know from personal experience," he says truthfully.

"Do you even have a mate?"

"Yes"

"What is her name?" I asked, jealous of whoever his mate was.

"Her name is Arielle," he said looking at me waiting for my response. I too was waiting for a response from my brain but it seemed like it was frozen. It seemed like everything was frozen. When my brain finally unfroze it kept on saying the same words that Ace had just said. I was his mate out of all the people in the world.