Chapter 32: You're Selfish

"Don't you think you should calm down a little before we get there? You barely slept last night" TC said. Gwen threw him a glare and replied

"You should concentrate on driving. If we get in an accident, I'll kill you first before I get to them"

"You're really scary right now. Remind me not to get on your bad side Miss Carter"

"You already did. I let you off easy"

"Why? Because I'm hot, sexy, have intense eyes, nice long fingers, goodness, I could go on all day" he mocked making her duck her head to avoid the embarrassment. She still couldn't believe he'd heard all that. If she hadn't been so angry last night she would have probably died from mortification. For the hundredth time, she wondered how that monitor had turned itself on. Gaby hadn't been playing with it and Emilia had been busy dressing her. Had it been on all that time?

"Can't you pretend you didn't hear anything?"

"Why? I like what I heard Gwen. I like knowing you've had dirty dreams about me because I sure as hell have had more than one dirty dream about you"

"I don't want to talk about this right now TC. Just, let me deal with my mother first"

"You don't have to do that. If you want we can get on a plane and go anywhere in the world and stay there until you've gotten better"

"I'm not running away again. I did that last time and look where it got me"

"You'll have me this time. You won't be alone Gwen"

She turned in her seat to look at him "Why are you trying to prevent me from confronting my mother?"

"Because I think I know what you're going to say and you might regret it later"

"I have to do this. I need answers from her and Max" as the only girl in the Carter family, she'd been close to her mother. They did everything mothers do with their daughters. Go shopping, gossip, share secrets and be each other's confidant. Before Lisandra came along, her mother was her best friend. But even then she knew their bond couldn't compare to the one she had with Max. He was always their mother's favorite. She had also looked up to him because he was her older brother. Where were the two people she worshiped when she needed them? It broke her heart to know that with one phone call, their mother could have ended all the suffering they had gone through. But what has she chosen to do? Every time she thought about it, she felt like hitting something.

TC stopped in front of the house then placed his hand on top of hers "Try to control your anger and remember that your mother was only trying to protect Zander" shaking his hand off, she got out of the car and went inside. Only to find Emilia in the middle of a confrontation with her mother.

"Wasn't pushing me down the stairs enough? You had to go and keep my son away from me for two years? Who gave you the right to do that?" Emilia hissed "You know what, I should put you behind bars. You were Lisandra's accomplice in Zander's kidnapping, weren't you?"

"Em...." Max tried to pull her back but she slapped his hands away

"Don't you dare defend her. You know what she did was wrong. It was beyond wrong"

"I know"

"Then why aren't you angry? Oh wait, she's your mother who can never do wrong. Is that it? Even when it's so clear that she is at fault you're still going to defend her?"

"Yes, Max. Are you going to keep on defending mom?" Gwen asked walking further into the room.

"Don't add fuel to the fire Gwen"