Chapter 20: Calm before the Storm

Preston was throwing a party to get out of talking about babies with Thea. A classic Nash move. Whenever a girl became too clingy in the past, he'd throw a party then be all over another girl just to send a message to the clingy one. Max didn't understand his logic but then again, only a five year old would understand Preston's thinking. So he promised him they'd all go to his house and spend the entire day drinking and catching up before they went back. The idiot had been so ecstatic that he'd planted a kiss on him.

Growing up with him meant he'd had to accommodate his madness. They had met during the first day of kindergarten and to this day, Max still didn't know why he'd picked him as his friend. There were so many other kids he could have chosen. Pretty girls he could have charmed into being his groupies. The fact that he'd ended up with Preston still baffled him. He could have done so much better.

"What's on your mind?" Emilia asked coming out of the bathroom. She was wrapped in a towel, her wet hair falling sleekly on her back. Max looked at his watch. They still had an hour to get to the party but Emilia needed time to get ready.

"I'm thinking about how I could have chosen someone else as my best friend" screw being late. Moving off the bed, he stopped behind her "I think I could have done so much better than him"

"True but your life would have been boring without him in your it. Do you think anyone would have agreed to swap their girlfriends with you?"

The hand that was about to pull off the towel froze midair "What?"

"He told me how you guys used to do that in highschool and all throughout college. He might have mentioned something about you passing me over to him once you were tired of me when you first introduced us"

That asshole "Remind me to punch him when we get there"

"Oh I already did that. I also told him I'd cut off his balls if he even thought about it ever again. I think he got the message loud and clear" she turned to face him "Aren't you going to take a shower?"

"Will you come in with me and scratch my back?" he asked again even though he knew her answer

"No. I need to dry my hair, get ready then go feed Gaby before we leave so move it"

"Not fair" he murmured bending to place a kiss on her neck then reluctantly went to bathroom. As he lathered soap on himself, Max wondered what was wrong with Preston and why he'd ever tell Emilia something like that. He wasn't proud of what they'd done. It was stupid and immature and the kind of thing he would have preferred Emilia not to know.

What could have made that idiot tell her? He knew they hadn't liked each other when they first met. It wasn't the love hate relationship they had going on currently. Back then Preston had truly despised his wife. Although, remembering their chat at the bar the other day, maybe it hadn't been hate. He'd only used it to cover up his real feelings. Which made him wonder what else they'd talked about. What had Preston told her about their college days? Christ, he hadn't told her about the threesome they'd had while they were high. Had he?

"Thank God you're here. Let the fun begin" Preston said opening the door for them. Instead of going inside, Max pulled him outside, telling Emilia and Mel to go ahead first because he had to talk to Preston. They went in but not before Em threw him a knowing look. She was definitely going to want to know about why they needed to talk outside "What's up? Did you change your mind about Lisandra?"

"No. I want to know what your jealous ass told Emilia when you first met her"

Confusion marred the lines on his forehead "What are you talking about?"

"Dinah, Marion, Pippa, Georgie... Ring a bell?"

"Definitely. I never forget their names. I even wrote them down just in case"