Chapter 23: It Was a Dream

"No way I'll let you beat me. I am the king of games"

"Prince you mean? Because the king is sitting right next to you. Let your old man teach you a thing or two"

"Old men shouldn't even be competing. Isn't your back hurting? Do you need mom to get a walking cane for you?"

Max gaped at him, forgetting about the game "Excuse you, I'm not that old"

"No, but you're old enough to be distracted long enough for me to beat you. Bow down for winner dad" he dropped his controller pumping fists in the air. Damn, it was his fault for falling into that hole.

"This is unacceptable. You cheated"

"I won dad. Accept it and leave the throne because you are not fit to rule anymore"

Smirking he got up "I might not be fit to rule but I still have my queen. Emilia?"

"No"

"Yes, Emilia?"

"What's up?"

"Nothing mom. Dad wanted to know if you'd like to join us. We're going to the beach"

"You are?"

"We are?" Max echoed her question "I thought you said surfing was boring"

"I changed my mind. Do you want to come?"

"Yes honey. I would love to see you boys playing around in water shirtless"

"It would be our pleasure baby" Max winked at Zander who was giving him the stinky eye. They both knew Emilia couldn't be easily distracted because she'd already gotten used to Zander's jabs during a game. Which meant she would kick his ass big time. He'd also found that involving his wife in anything tended to make Zander move without a complaint. To him, his mother's word was the rule, something he was planning on taking advantage of more often "Let's go bud. Your mother will be watching us"

"Who's the cheater now?"

~~~~~~~

"Did you finish the cookies again? Zander, what did I say about splitting them in half?"

"First come first serve. Hendrix says that all the time"

"Do you want to go and live with Hendrix? Does he know how to bake these cookies?"

"Are you kicking me out of your house?"

Max jerked his head "What? That's... I didn't...."

"You're so easy, it's not even fun anymore. Mom baked more, they're over there on the cooling rack" he shook his head leaving the kitchen. It took him a moment to realize Zander was just messing with him and he'd just fallen for it. Again.

"Hey, come back here. You can't keep doing this" he'd almost believed the wounded look in his eyes, and felt like a jerk for insinuating he go live with the Jennings.

"Stay alert old man"

"I am not old!" he gritted his teeth following him.

"Then catch me if you can"

"No Max, this is another one if his games. If you don't catch him he'll forever call you old. You are not old, you know that" he told himself but his feet were already hurrying after him. Dammit, he always lost to him every time.