Chapter 31- Somber Heartbeat

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

Everything happened in what felt like mere seconds. There I stood in front of Mint Eye, and in front of numerous people who stared, silently judging me.
I had been standing there, staring at the Savior, my mind refusing to listen to what she had to say.
I watched her mouth move, words flowing out, but it was as though the words she muttered were in a language I did not understand.
My ears refused to listen, and my brain refused to even attempt to comprehend her rotten words.
Averting my gaze I stared down to my feet, not caring to look at the people who I had ran away from. I became lost in my thoughts, or rather the lack of thoughts, and instead became absorbed in the silence which my mind had encased itself in.

I stood there, unmoving, until all of a sudden a pair of feet appeared in the front of my peripheral vision. Without even looking up I knew who it was.
I didn't want to see his face... I didn't want to look at the person I had ran away from, the person I had abandoned.
So I stood there, silently, until a hand wrapped itself around my neck, squeezing tight.
Unable to swallow nor breath I stood there, still unmoving.
If this was my fate, to die right then and there, so be it.
I didn't care.
Noticing my lack of reaction the hand which had coiled around my neck soon let go, my body dropping to the ground as I let out a few coughs, feeling the air catching in my throat, before more and more robed men and women surrounded me, tying me up.
And again, I did not struggle.
All the fight I had in me, every part of me which had assisted me in escaping was gone. I had accepted the fact that this was my life, and that, if I were to continue to live, the rest of my life would be there at Mint Eye.
My hands bound behind my back and my legs tied together I was forced to do as I was instructed.
A hand harshly pulled me to my feet, nudging me forward inch by inch, my feet slowly shuffling towards the doors of Mint Eye.
It felt almost like a bad dream.
It felt unreal.
Part of me wished it was a dream,
and the other part of me knew it wasn't.

Continuing to shuffle along I suddenly felt something strong hit me over the head, causing me to fall to the ground, the world around me blurring. I felt myself begin to drift away, and I did not struggle.
Through the silence came a sound... it was a sharp cackle of a laugh, that sounded forced, and which came from a broken man. That was the last sound I heard before my vision faded into darkness.

.

.

.

  .

  "Princess?" I heard a voice call out to me, "princess?" they repeated.
Slowly opening my eyes I looked around me, the thing that greeted me was two mint green orbs.
"Ahh, you're awake!"  My eyes widened as I soon recognized who it was that stood in front of me.

"...Ray?" I asked, my gaze softening.
He smiled at me, his usual smile. The smile which made my heart skip a beat and my breath catch in my throat.

  Cocking his head he opened his mouth, "yes, princess?"

"I...uhh..." I couldn't think of anything to say.
Sitting up from the bed I looked around me. I was in my room.
The room with the hard eroded wooden floor, the bland drapes, my small broken down, makeshift bed, my drawer, and the bookshelf... it was all there.
The walls were still the white that they had originally been. There was no sign of any change, no sign of anyone other than me and Ray.
No pink walls, no pink bedsheets, no flowers decorating the room, it was my bland boring room.

"Is something wrong?" Ray asked as I took my covers off. Ignoring Ray I looked down at my attire.
I was back in my original dress... the purple dress along with my black corset, the one I had worn before all of this happened. 
Swinging my legs over the side of my bed I got up, passing by Ray and walking to the window, stepping into a loose floorboard.

Looking out the window I watched the clouds roll by, and next to me appeared Ray.
"The clouds are pretty today, don't you think."
Not knowing how to respond I just nodded right before a hand was placed onto my head.
My eyes widened as I looked over to Ray who looked back at me, his face clearly concerned, yet the corners of his lips ever so turned upwards.
"If something's bothering you, you should tell me... it's not good to keeps things to yourself."
I looked down to the ground, the heat resonating off of the gloved hand which sat atop my head. A slight chuckle resonated to my ears, "you always told me that... didn't you?" He asked.
My heart rose up and into my throat, tears pricking the corners of my eyes.

"Yeah..." I muttered, "I think I did..."
Suddenly, the hand on top of my hand disappeared, soon reappearing on my cheek, his gloved hand cupping the side of my face.
Feeling my cheeks heat up I slowly looked up to Ray as he stared straight back into my eyes.

"Please... tell me what's wrong," he said, his voice only slightly louder than a whisper.

  "It's nothing..."
I muttered, my eyes continuing to water.
"I just..."
memories came flooding back to me all at once hitting me hard, stabbing straight through my heart.
I soon felt something wet run down my cheek, stopping at my chin before falling downward.
My eyes widened as another, followed by another, raced down my face. Ray stared at me, his gaze soft.
Instead of speaking all he did was wrap his arms around me, and gently pull me to his chest, placing his head atop my own.
Feeling the warm embrace and Ray's arms wrapped around my small frame I felt a sense of comfort wash over me.
A feeling of safety and belonging, something that I had never felt before. Slowly and shakily, I lifted my arms upwards and placed my hands onto the small of Ray's back, gently nuzzling my head into his shirt, the smell of roses and strawberries filling my nose.
Ray's arms held me close to him, giving me a gentle squeeze.
As we stood there in the silence I soon noticed a noise. The quiet, beating of Ray's heart.
The quiet beats, one after the next soothed me and made every little thing, every single thought, every worry vanish into thin air.
The warmth radiating off of Ray's body, the smell of roses and strawberries, combined with the constant beating of Ray's heart made everything disappear. Feeling Ray's sigh atop my head he soon whispered two words, "I'm sorry..."  before his warm embrace slowly vanished, the scent of strawberries and roses dissipated, and the sound of his heart was no more leaving me once again
.

.

.

alone.

Falling to my knees I closed my eyes, tears continuing to stream down my face before plummeting down into my lap.
I wish I could have more dreams like this
.

.

.

I thought to myself, opening my eyes and looking upwards a final tear running down my face as the corners of my lips upturned.
.

.

.
but I guess it's for me to wake up...

___________________
Word Count: 1287