Chapter 73

Chet Watakeekul

"How is your sandwich?" I asked Vincent. We sat side by side in the cafeteria. Instead of answering, he put the sandwich in front of my mouth. I took a bite.

"I like my taco better," I said.

He smiled and opened his mouth for a bite. I fed him a bite of my taco while thinking about how handsome and adorable he was. It was good to see him smile again. It had taken awhile which was quite understandable. He loved his grandmother a lot.

"I like my sandwich better," he said.

"Well, it's good we got what we like then," I said.

"Chet." Melissa walked up to our table. I hadn't seen her since New Year's Eve. We didn't have a class together anymore.

"Hi, Melissa," I said.

"Hi," she said. She pulled out the chair next to me and sat. "How are you doing? I haven't seen you in awhile."

"I'm good," I said. I glanced at Vincent to see if he was jealous, but he didn't seem like it. He took a bite of his sandwich. "How are you? I hear you are still dating both Jimmy and Devon."

"Yeah," she said. "It might sound silly, but I actually wanted to thank you for turning me down. I'm not ready to be in a serious relationship. I don't have to worry about that knowing both Jimmy and Devon are leaving at the end of the semester. I am going to miss them though." She paused and smiled at Vincent. "And I think you two are perfect for each other."

"I agree with that," I said.

"Me too," Vincent said.

"Well, I'll let you two be," she said, "but I hope I see you around campus."

"I'm sure you will," I said as she stood up.

Shortly after she left, Vincent's phone rang. The caller i.d. came up as the realtor my mom had recommended to him. Vincent answered and put the phone up to his ear. I leaned in close so I could hear the conversation. He didn't seem bothered by this.

"Hello," Vincent said.

"Hello, Vincent," the realtor said. "Everything is completed. The money should now be in your bank account."

Vincent and his dad had signed the paperwork awhile ago. They just had to wait for the paperwork to go through. It would have taken even longer, but his dad paid in cash. Eight million dollars in cash. It was unfathomable to me.

"I know you said you only wanted eight million and the deal is done now so we can't go back and change anything, but I really wish you would have sold it for the appraised amount of fifteen million. And not just because I want a higher commission," the realtor said. "After everything that man put you through, I think you are entitled to that much."

"I don't want that much," Vincent said. "I don't even want the eight million. Despite everything, they are still my family." It hadn't been part of the official deal so the realtor didn't know it, but Vincent told his dad he would cut the price in half for the house if he gave my dad his old job title back and gave him a raise. Greg Kinsington made the deal easily saying he had already planned on doing that anyway.

The realtor sighed. "I'll respect your decision, but this isn't a fair deal, Vincent. You are being way too generous. I enjoyed working with you though. If you ever think of purchasing a home, let me know. I'll help you find a good one."

"Thank you," Vincent said.

They hung up and Vincent went back to eating his sandwich.

"What?" he asked me after I stared at him for awhile.