Chapter 48

Vincent Kinsington

I woke up to Chet's brown eyes blinking at me. It made me smile. I wrapped my arms around his naked waist and pulled him close to me.

"Good morning," he said. His fingers traced my jaw.

"It is," I said. Every morning was good when I woke up next to him.

It was dark out and Chet was relaxed so I didn't think we were late in getting ready for school yet. We were in the last week of classes for the semester. Next week was finals. Alex and Mateo had been in their new apartment for a few days now and both seemed happy. The video of Alex had been taken down and so far it hadn't been posted anywhere else. It had snowed the night Alex and Mateo moved into their apartment. It hadn't snowed since and the weather had warmed up slightly.

"We should probably get up and get ready," Chet said.

"Mhmm." I kissed him. His hand trailed down my jaw, down my chest and circled around to my back. His lips moved with mine as his hand massaged the flesh of my back. Our waists were pressed together

"Vincent." My mother's voice rang harsh from the door. Our lips broke apart. I froze. Chet froze. Our arms still draped over each other. I had been so wrapped up in him that I hadn't heard the door open. I had completely forgotten the one time she had visited me. It was too early even if my dad was out of town and she wanted to go out for breakfast.

The panic began to bubble up inside my chest, but Chet's warmth kept it from completely spilling out. The door slammed shut and the sound of it sent shivers down my arms. I dared to look at the door hoping she had just left. No. She stood there glaring at me with her eyes narrowed and her lips pinched tight. She turned away from us so she faced the closed door. "Get dressed." Her voice was low and angry.

This was definitely not how I wanted my family to find out I had a boyfriend. I had never actually wanted them to know. Chet and I scrambled out of bed and quickly put our clothes on. I made sure to put on the tiger's eye stone bracelet Chet had got me for my birthday. I always kept it close to me. Chet finished dressing first and came around the bed to stand behind me as if I could protect him from my mother. I couldn't even protect myself from her.

"Dressed?" she asked after our movements had stilled.

"Yes," I said.

She turned to face us and her expression hadn't changed - hadn't softened even a little.

"You're gay?"

"Bi actually," I said softly.

"Good," she said, which wasn't what I had been expecting, but her next words explained why. "Then you can break up with him and get a girlfriend."

She wasn't interested in who he was or what he meant to me. She wasn't even going to ask me if he was rich or what he was studying. It was obvious from his clothes that he wasn't rich. He wasn't poor either, but my mom would only care if he had a lot of money. Well, if he had been a girl she would have cared.

"I love him," was all I said.

She sighed angrily. I saw the slight movement in her cheek as her tongue ran along inside it when it did only when she was truly furious.

"I'm going to make this very simple for you, Vincent," she said in that red voice that barely concealed her anger. "You break up with him now and we go out to breakfast and forget this ever happened or you cut all ties with your family. Your car, your apartment, your phone, laptop - everything that is paid for with your father's money, you will leave behind. You won't have access to your bank account or credit cards. You won't ever have a position in the business. Tuition fees are already paid for this semester, but next semester you are on your own. You will no longer be allowed at the house. You will no longer be a member of our family. You won't exist to us."