Chapter 13

Mateo

"Are you nervous?" Alex asked.

I sat in his passenger seat as we drove to my parent's house.

"No," I said. "What is there to be nervous about?" I had to appear strong in front of Alex. I didn't want him to suddenly change his mind about me and dump me. I had to give him the best image of myself.

"It's okay to be nervous," Alex said.

"I'm not though," I said. I looked out the window at the passing houses so he wouldn't see the lie in my eyes.

Alex kept one hand on the steering wheel, but the other reached out and took my hand. I squeezed his hand as if to show I was the one giving him strength. I told him where to turn and sooner than I liked, we were parked in front of my house. The yellow paint on the house was chipping in places and so was our white, wooden fence. I suddenly wished I had painted it over the summer. If Alex noticed he didn't give any indication as he smiled at me kindly. Man, he was handsome.

I noticed my aunt's car in the driveway which meant not only was this dinner with my sister, little brothers, parents and grandpa, it would now also include my aunt, uncle and cousins.

Damn Vincent for making me come out like this.

I had no idea how my family was going to react. I really hoped - prayed actually - that it wouldn't give my grandpa a stroke or a heart attack.

Alex let go of my hand and started to get out of the car. I quickly got out with him. I had to act like this wasn't a big deal. Maybe if I acted well enough, I'd believe it myself.

The front door flew open and Serafina sprang down the porch steps, ran to us and threw her arms around Alex in a tight hug as if she had known him all her life and this wasn't the first time she had ever seen him. My twin brothers stared at us in the doorframe. My parents had given them cellphones on their twelve birthday three months ago, but they had both dropped and broken them before the second day. They were now banned from having a cell phone for at least another year. They did not know I was gay let alone that I had a boyfriend.

Alex looked at me unsure if he should hug her back or not. I pulled my sister off my boyfriend.

"I'm so happy to meet you," she said as I made her take a step back. "You are more handsome than your pictures." She completely ignored me as she stared at my handsome boyfriend.

"Thank you," he said.

Sera finally turned to me. "I can't believe you are bringing your boyfriend home to the family so soon. You must be serious."

I smiled in response hoping that I looked strong and brave. I wouldn't be doing this yet if Vincent hadn't forced my hand. And it wasn't just because I was worried about my grandpa having a heart attack although that had been my excuse.

"Come in, come in." My sister grabbed Alex's hand and began to pull him inside.

"Hello," Alex greeted my little brothers.

"Hello," they said in unison.

"I'm Alex."

"Hugo."

"Adrian."

"It's nice to meet you both," Alex said politely and it seemed like he genuinely meant it.

"We're twins," Hugo said.

"But not identical," Adrian added. It was the same thing they always said when they met someone new.