Chapter 54

A/N: This bracelet is the one Chet gave Vincent for Vincent's birthday. I pictured the tiger's eye stones to be a little bigger than this, but you get the idea.

Vincent Kinsington

"Who goes first this year?" Chet's mom asked.

It was Christmas morning. We all sat on the carpet around the Christmas tree in the living room. The lights on the Christmas tree were lit up, but so were the living room lights. They dimmed the effect of the Christmas tree lights.

"Me," Kannika called out happily and grabbed the first present that had her name on it. It was from her parents. She tore it open, leaving torn wrapping paper and ribbon everywhere in her wake. It was a kindle e-reader. She smiled big and genuine and held it up to her. "Thanks, mom." She kissed her mom on the cheek. "Thanks, dad." She kissed him on the cheek. She liked to read all sorts of books even though yaoi mangas were clearly still her favorite.

"Vincent," Kannika said. She pushed me a rectangular shaped present. "It's from me," she said.

I could tell it was a large, hardback book before I even opened it. I carefully unwrapped it so I didn't make too big of a mess. It was a book for one of my classes for the upcoming semester. It might have seemed like a small thing, but the fact that she even knew what my classes were and then went and bought it was touching. And college books were not inexpensive.

"Thank you," I said.

"I'll go next," Chet said. He grabbed a present from his parents. He tore off the wrapping paper in a similar fashion that Kannika had. Inside was a new pair of soccer cleats. And of course, Chet was ecstatic about them. He caressed them and rubbed them up against his cheeks. He was cute.

Chet's parents went next. They opened their presents from each other. They had obviously bought them together because they were matching rings. They put them on, smiled sweetly at each other and gave each other an innocent kiss.

While they were doing that, Kannika moved so instead of being between Chet and their mother she squeezed between their father and me. She opened the back of the textbook that was on my lap sneakily. She showed me the yaoi manga she hid inside. I nodded to acknowledge I saw it. She smiled proudly before turning her attention elsewhere so their dad wouldn't notice. I closed the book. She really wanted me to get into yaoi mangas with her. That probably wasn't going to happen, but it was cute of her anyway.

When Kannika opened my present to her, her smile faltered slightly. "Thanks," she faked as she looked at the generic stack of mangas I had given her.

I quickly flipped through them - fast enough that her father wouldn't notice, but she did notice the yaoi mangas I had put in the middle. Her face lit up and she wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed me tightly. Nat had helped me pick them out so I was sure I got her ones she didn't already have.

"Thank you," she said with more feeling this time. "I love it."

"You don't have to hug him." Chet tried to pry her arms off me, but she was surprisingly strong and her grip tightened.

"He's my brother," she said. "I can hug my brother."

Chet sighed out. "Fine." He stopped trying to get her arms off me and she hugged me a moment longer before letting go and smiling down at the stack of generic mangas.

I opened the next present addressed to me from Chet's parents. It was a set of pans newly bought and still in the box. I looked at them. I was of course grateful, but a little confused. Were they telling me they wanted me to cook more? They already had pans I could use if that was the case.