Chapter 58

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. I will indicate where it starts with ------------------------ and indicate where it ends with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ so if you want to skip this section you can.

Vincent Kinsington

Chet and I walked hand in hand into the Japanese restaurant. Students weren't the only ones who came here, employees of the university often came here too, but grandma stood out as she sat at an empty table in a pink business suit with her hair done up. Chet and I sat at the table before I noticed Priscilla and Theresa sitting at a table nearby. They both smiled and waved to me and Chet. I was surprised to see them. Grandma always came out alone.

Grandma's wrinkled, cold hand enclosed over mine. "They drove me here," she said.

"Why?" I asked as I turned back to my lovely grandma. I had missed her.

"Gregory took my license and keys away."

This horrified me. My dad had never treated me right, but he had always loved grandma and treated her with respect.

"Why would he do that?" I asked. "Is this some type of elder abuse? Grandma, you need to report him. Or I can do it if you're not in a position to."

She squeezed my hand tightly. "It's not like that," she said. I must have shown my skepticism on my face because grandma added, "It's truly not like that."

"Then why would he do that?"

"Let's talk about something else," she said. "How is school going?"

"Grandma, is it because of me?"

"No, dear," she let go of my hand to cup my cheeks with both of hers. "It's not because of you. Don't worry about it. I'm not being mistreated or anything. How is school?"

"You look thinner, grandma," I said. "Are you okay? Are you eating alright?"

"Vinny, my Vinny, I'm okay. Don't worry about me. You have so much to stress over already. I'm fine."

The server came then and took our order as soon as he left she asked Chet, "How is he doing in school?"

"I'm right here, grandma. You can ask me."

"I've already asked you twice and you didn't answer," she pointed out.

"Sorry," I said. "I just want to make sure you're okay. School is going well."

"That's great," she said. "How about school for you?" she asked Chet.

He smiled. "Great," he said. "I've got A's on all my assignments so far."

She smiled. "That's wonderful," she said. "How is it living with the Watakeekuls?" she asked me.

"I like it," I said. I couldn't tell her I liked it except for the fact that Chet and I couldn't have sex. "They treat me like family."

Great pools of tears welled up in her eyes and splashed onto her wrinkled cheeks.

I immediately wiped them away. "Don't cry, grandma. I'm happy."

"I'm sorry we didn't treat you better," she said. "I'm sorry you didn't feel like part of a family in my home."

"That wasn't what I meant, grandma." Although it kind of had been. "I couldn't ask for a better grandma than you." I scooted my chair closer to her and wrapped in her a hug. "Please don't cry." Chet moved to the other side of her and hugged both of us.

She nodded, but by the time she calmed down, the food arrived. Chet and I moved back to our respective spots. The talk during lunch was light. I didn't dare ask about my biological dad's phone number again. She asked about school and the Watakeekuls. I asked what she was doing with her time now that she was retired. Her answer was taking internet courses. She was learning French, taking a biology class, a writing class. She also attended an art class once a week that Alex's mother ran. I asked about Aiden. He was doing the same as always, she said. She asked Chet about soccer which he was more than happy to talk about.