Chapter 65

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. I will indicate where it starts with ------------------------ and indicate where it ends with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ so if you want to skip this section you can.

Mateo

I showered after the unofficial soccer practice. Chet had skipped and went straight home. Ever since Kiet had tried to steal from them, Chet was paranoid that he was going to come back. But if Kiet followed his past pattern, he wouldn't try to steal from them again for another year or longer. Chances were he'd get arrested soon for drug charges or stealing from someone else and go back to prison. As far as I knew, Chet never told his parents that Kiet had stolen from them, but they had to notice the missing jewelry and video games. I was glad none of my siblings were like Kiet. Chet had another reason he wanted to be home early. He and Vincent were going to move into a new apartment soon and Chet wanted to go home and pack.

I got dressed and checked my phone. There was a text message from Alex.

Babe: Vincent is going to come hang out at our place for a little bit before he has to work. He'll be late if he takes the bus home and then all the way back.

I responded as I walked out of the locker room.

Me: Okay. Just finished practice. I'm on my way home now.

"Texting your boyfriend?"

Robert's voice made me freeze. I didn't want to deal with this today. He hadn't spoken with me since the coach's talk. He walked up from behind me until he stood in front of me. He was alone.

"You know you're a coward right?" Robert went on. "All this time, you just let me say whatever. I say one thing to Chet and he stands up for himself. You know you and your boyfriend are still going to hell right? You're sinners. Disgusting sinners. I want to throw up every time I see you."

"Robert!" Jimmy's strong voice sounded behind us. I didn't wait to see what he had to say. I brushed passed Robert and continued on my way. Robert was right about one thing though, I was a coward. I didn't deserve Alex.

When I got home, Alex and Vincent were playing a video game together on the couch. They both looked at me when I came. Vincent went back to playing, but Alex stood up and came to me as I put my backpack down on the table.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I needed to get better at hiding whatever expression was on my face right now.

"Nothing's wrong," I said.

He frowned at me. "I can tell something is wrong," he said. I glanced at Vincent. He pretended he was involved in the game and wasn't paying attention to us, but how could he not be? "Why won't you just tell me?" Alex asked.

"It's really nothing," I said. He didn't need to worry about Robert or my uncle or all the other things stressing me out.

His jaw set in that way it did when he was angry. He walked passed me and out the door. I stood there not knowing what to do.

"You're not going to go after him?" Vincent asked. He put the controller down and looked at me.

"What's there to say?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes and said, "There was a time when I had tried to break the two of you up and nothing I did worked. Now you're doing it all on your own."

My heart started to beat erratically against my chest at his words. Alex and I couldn't break up. I was doing this to avoid that.

"But now I like you," Vincent said, "so I'm going to give you some advice."