Chapter 55

Chet Watakeekul

"My ride is here," Kannika called out to the house when a car honked outside.

She rushed to the front door when my dad said, "Are you sure you don't want to go with Chet and his friends. It will be safer that way."

"Don't worry, dad," Kannika said. "I'm going with my friends. Nothing is going to happen to us."

"But," my dad started, but Kannika didn't let him finish.

"Bye," she said and the front door closed behind her.

My dad came and stood in the doorframe of the bathroom where I sat on the edge of the tub watching Vincent finish his hair even though his hair was already perfect and he just kept messing with the same perfect spot over and over as if it could get anymore perfect.

"You're going to the downtown party tonight right?" my dad asked.

"Yes, dad, for the 100th time we will be downtown."

"Okay, watch out for Kanni and her friends."

I almost told him we probably wouldn't be seeing Kannika because downtown was going to be packed full of people for the town's New Year's Eve party. Instead I said, "If you're that worried about her, why don't you go and watch out for her."

"And miss the opportunity to have the house to ourselves for hours without any children? I don't think so."

"And don't come home too early," my mom said. She came up behind my dad and wrapped her arms around his waist. Her chin was on his shoulder. "And don't call us unless there is an emergency."

There was a knock on the front door. I grabbed Vincent's hand and walked passed my parents. Gareth was at the front door. Alex and Mateo waited in Alex's car. It was going to be busy downtown so we had decided to take one car and not two which meant three of us were going to have to squish in the backseat. I sat in the middle between Gareth and Vincent.

"We're finally going to meet Arthur," Gareth said as if he had been part of Vincent's, Alex's and Trevon's friend group forever. Between traveling between their two families after Christmas, Trevon and Arthur had been busy and there hadn't been any time to meet them before now.

"Did Trevon send you a text where to meet them?" Vincent asked Alex.

"Yes, at the dance area. He said Arthur wants to go dancing before anything else."

Most of the downtown area had been blocked off for the party so we had to park far away. We got out of the car and made our way through the streets and the crowds. Police officers in uniform were on almost every street to make sure there wasn't any trouble. There were lots of people of all ages - families with young children since there was a children's area setup with a bounce house and a few small rides, old couples, couples in general, friends, college students, teenagers. My sister was here with Mateo's sister and their other friends somewhere. Food stands were set up as well as stands with an assortment of goods like jewelry, clothes, toys. Restaurants and stores were open late. There was a delicious aroma coming from the food stands. I was hungry, but I could wait until everyone else was hungry too.

Vincent and I walked close together hand in hand. Mateo and Alex did the same. Gareth trailed behind us to stop and look at the stands, but rushed to catch up with us as we moved on. Alex led the way confidently to the area where a portable dance floor had been set up.

"There they are," a familiar voice cried out brightly and then Arthur was rushing to us through the crowds pulling Trevon along behind him. Vincent let go of my hand and a moment later he, Trevon and Alex were in a threeway hug. Arthur didn't seem bothered by this in the least as he immediately hugged Mateo who had a hand stretched out to shake hands. Arthur squeezed Mateo tightly before he released him as suddenly as he hugged him and then he was hugging me. And it didn't even take me a moment to figure out that he was too strong and almost crushing my bones.