Chapter 56

A/N: This chapter contains a major spoiler for Equations of Dance, but Equations of Dance also has spoilers for From My Enemy to My Love so I would still recommend you read From My Enemy to My Love first. Unless, you get to this point in From My Enemy to My Love and then want to go read Equations of Dance until you get to this spoiler point and then come back to read this. But that seems like a lot of work.

Vincent Kinsington

I came directly home from my job interview deciding to skip my afternoon class. I would have been late for it anyway. I sent Chet a text so he would know I wouldn't be waiting for him at the bus stop when classes were over. I set my backpack down in our room and then headed to the kitchen to find something to eat. I paused when I heard Chet's parents talking.

"They gave you a demotion?" Nat sounded livid. I was not about to walk into that.

"And a pay cut," Nate said. "They came up with some bogus excuse that I made a mistake somewhere in the paperwork, but I didn't. Greg is just retaliating because I took in the son that he kicked out and I told him I wouldn't kick him out no matter how much he threatened me. It's a demotion in name only. I'm still expected to do all the same work."

"How much of a pay cut?" Nat asked.

"Don't worry," Nate said. "It's not much. We'll still be okay. We've got money saved up. And Aiden said he would try to get me moved onto his team so he can give me a raise, but that doesn't really make sense with my current job title and I don't think Greg will let that happen."

I backed away, went into the room, retrieved my backpack and walked back outside. Obviously no one was supposed to be home at that time of day and Nate and Nat wouldn't want me to have overheard them. I walked back in as if it was the first time, but made sure to close the front door loudly so it would be audible from the kitchen.

Nate and Nat came out into the living room and both smiled when they saw me.

"I thought you had a class," Nat said.

"My job interview ran a little late. Since I would have been late for class I just decided to skip it. What are you two doing home so early?"

"We came to eat lunch together," Nate said. "We've got to get back to work now." They headed to the front door.

"I can move in with Alex's mom," I said.

They both turned to me a little shocked. "Don't you like living here?" Nat asked sounding hurt.

"I do," I said, "but it's taking me longer than I thought it would to find a job and..."

Nate hugged me and said, "You are part of our family now, son. If you move out, it will be because you and Chet got your own place and not for any other reason."

And how could I say no to that even knowing my dad was giving them a hard time. I couldn't because I had never felt part of a family like this before. My own dad had never hugged me and Nate was so free with his hugs.

"Okay," I said.

**

I woke with a start not sure at first what woke me. Then my phone rang again. I picked up my phone and saw Trevon was calling. It was 1:17 a.m. My first thought was that this must be bad.

"Hello," I answered. My voice was heavy with sleep.

"Can you come?" he asked. His voice was wrought with worry. It actually sounded like he had been crying and Trevon didn't cry. "Alex will pick you up."

I sat up straight. "What's wrong?" I got up out of bed and went to the dresser to pull out some clothes. I was vaguely aware that Chet sat up on the bed and watched me.